-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Configuring CompositeUserType with external info
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:14 am 

Hi,

I have a question about the CompositeUserType.
Cosider the following situation:
In the tables in my DB I have a field that stores the ID of the user, that created the record. The information for that ID is in separate class.
If I create a CompositeUserType for that field, how can I pass the object, that holds the ID info to that CompositeUserType. Maybe somehow using the SessionImplementor parameter, passed to nullSafeGet/Set.

Regards,
Sith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:29 am 

The idea behind this is that I want to have a common type for fields with the same semantics. And most of these fields are system field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:35 am 
Expert
Expert

the CompositeUserType creates that Object which contains the ID and returns it.
There's a good example in HiA.

For example in the "nullsafeget"-Method you won't return an "int" or "long" but a Object called "CreatorID" ...

gtx
curio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:20 am 

OK, obviously I was not completely clear.
The idea in this case is mainly when I want to set a value to that field, but I have to get the value from external oblect. In this case the ID of the user. How can I pass this external object to the UserType ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:32 am 
Expert
Expert

okay ... now i understand ...

I need something similar for Audit-Logs and i'm using a ThreadLocal to provide access to such information, but i'm setting the UserID before calling "session.save" ... but you can (of course) access it from your UserType, too.

HiH
curio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:59 am 

This can be possible, but I'm not sure if it will work.
I have to check how Tomcat and Hibernate handle threads. Not to mention that I have Spring in between.
I can set the ThreadLocal variable in the user initial thread, when the user logs-in. I'm not sure in which thread Hibernate will execute. Is it the same, or it even can execute in the thread of another user ?
This can lead to very nasty problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:43 pm 
Expert
Expert

it should be no problem ...
as far as i know Tomcat has a seperate Thread for each request ... therefore it's necessary to provide the information to each thread (request) ...
It works perfectly in combination with the HibernateSession ... so i think it should be no problem with a UserType ...

It's a long time ago i've used Spring, but i couldn't imagine that they're opening new threads ...

gtx
curio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:12 am 

I'll try it anyway. Hope it works.
Thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]