-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question regarding Session.load()
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:23 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Employee table has a composite primary key - empno, companyno.

How do I load an instance of Employee object using Session.load() method? load() method takes "id" as the 2nd parameter. In this case, i'd need to pass both empno, companyno. how do i do that?

I apologize for asking very basic qns... but i couldnt any suitable API to achieve this...

Thanks in advance for your help!

~ Nilesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:30 pm 

Each table has it's own unique ID. (the primary key). Since you are loading an individual employee, then there could only be one of those employees in the table. Would you really have two of the same employee in this table?

This is the "id" that the load() method is referring to. If you have to grab multiple employees, then you will need a query instead of an idividual load().

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:36 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Neelixx wrote:
Each table has it's own unique ID. (the primary key). Since you are loading an individual employee, then there could only be one of those employees in the table. Would you really have two of the same employee in this table?

This is the "id" that the load() method is referring to. If you have to grab multiple employees, then you will need a query instead of an idividual load().

Employee table has employeeno, companyno as composite primary key. So if i have to load an Employee instance I need to pass both the parameters.

I believe load() takes 2nd argument as "id" which i refer to be a primary key...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:49 pm 

nrbhattad wrote:
I believe load() takes 2nd argument as "id" which i refer to be a primary key...

What column do you have defined in your hibernate mapping for your employee object? 'id' in the load() method refers to the key that you defined in your hibernate mapping. It is the same id that you get back in object.getId(), unless you modified the method in your class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:29 am 
Regular
Regular

First, if you can use a surrogate key instead of composed-id, it is really recommended.

Second, create a class to represent the id itself.

See documentation, section "Components as composite identifiers" of hibernate doc.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]