-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Listing dodgy data
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:37 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I'm running Hibernate over a legacy database. I'm pretty sure that I've got the mappings more or less right now - I can read valid data without problems.

The problem is that the data in the database has some problems. There are occasional problems with relational integrity, and problems with data values. As soon as Hibernate hits one of these problems, it throws a HibernateException, and stops running the query.

I have no problem with the exception being thrown. In fact, that's exactly what I want to happen. And in production, it's fine for the query to stop. The thing is, though, that I'd like a way to list all the data errors, so that I can do a data-cleansing exercise up front. Is there a way to process the results of a query a row at a time, so that I can identify all the problems in one go?

http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:02 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I can think of two workarounds. I could make the reporting currency code available as a property rather than relating back to the current table directly. Retrieving the currency object would then be the client code's job. Or, perhaps I could try building the company to currency link as a one to many. I'm not even sure that that would work. Besides, I really want to fix this problem properly, for one and for all. I'll probably come across a lot of this kind of relationship as I map more of my legacy database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:07 am 
Beginner
Beginner

simon.brunning wrote:
I can think of two workarounds...

This reply was meant for another thread. :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:50 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

eh ? doesn't sound like something hibernate should do.

You should write some queries that checks this for you - its a typical data maintanence jobs.

p.s. check out not-found attribute which allow you to control wether an exception is thrown or not.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]