-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Large byte[] on mySQL
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:42 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hibernate 3.0
mySQL 4.1.10

I have a class, attachment, mapped as follows:

<hibernate-mapping>
<class name="attachment.Attachment" table="attachment">
<id name="id" type="string" length="32">
<column name="id" length="32" not-null="true"/>
<generator class="uuid.hex"/>
</id>
<property name="fileName" column="filename" type="string"/>
<property name="objectClass" column="objectclass" type="string"/>
<property name="objectId" column="object_id" type="string" length="32" />
<property name="data" column="data" type="binary" length="100000000" />
</class>
</hibernate-mapping>

On the back end I have a mySQL table where the 'data' column is a longblob (maximum length on the DB of 4294967295).

When I save attachments with "small" data chunks, it works fine.
When I try to save anything with a large (> 1M) data[] though, I get this error from the mysql driver:

Packet for query is too large (3223606 > 1048576). You can change this value on the server by setting the max_allowed_packet' variable.

Am I going to have to manually "chunk" my data in order to make it work on mySQL? Or is there some sort of workaround inside of Hibernate I can use to make it handle really big byte[]'s without throwing a curveball to mysql?

Post subject: no solution but you helped solved my problem
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:04 am 

i am a very new newbie (clocking up over four hours of hibernate usage!) and though i don't have an answer to your problem ii worked out why my byte[]s weren't getting persisted!

[code]type="binary"[/code]

with no length defaults to length 255, and numerous deserialization errors.

best of luck with your problem at least.

mat

Post subject: Re: Large byte[] on mySQL
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:17 am 
Expert
Expert

pcasey wrote:
On the back end I have a mySQL table where the 'data' column is a longblob (maximum length on the DB of 4294967295).

When I save attachments with "small" data chunks, it works fine.
When I try to save anything with a large (> 1M) data[] though, I get this error from the mysql driver:

Packet for query is too large (3223606 > 1048576). You can change this value on the server by setting the max_allowed_packet' variable.

Am I going to have to manually "chunk" my data in order to make it work on mySQL? Or is there some sort of workaround inside of Hibernate I can use to make it handle really big byte[]'s without throwing a curveball to mysql?

When I read your error message, it sounds quite clear to me what you need to do. "You can change this value on the server by setting the max_allowed_packet variable."

This isn't an issue with Hibernate. It's a MySQL issue.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]