-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Connection => java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:02 am 

Dear all,

Good morning, I have an application which uses the Spring framework with Hibernate to manage an Oracle database. All is fine except that with the time, I have a big big logs file on my WebLogic Server once a user closes his browser or stops a request !!! At every turn, I receive a :

java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe

This log file can be very important at the end, and eventually I could have some damages...

I searched in a lot of web pages but I didn't find anything : properties on hibernate side, on weblogic side....nothing works, I'm lost !!!

Here is an extract of my log file (stderr.log) :

SEVERE: Can't insert page '/jsp/pages/standardReview.jsp' : Broken pipe
java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkUtils.writeChunkTransfer(ChunkUtils.java:247)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkUtils.writeChunks(ChunkUtils.java:223)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutput.flush(ChunkOutput.java:298)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutput.checkForFlush(ChunkOutput.java:373)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutput.print(ChunkOutput.java:258)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutputWrapper.print(ChunkOutputWrapper.java:126)
at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspWriterImpl.print(JspWriterImpl.java:282)
at jsp_servlet._jsp._pages.__standardreview._writeText(__standardreview.java:76)
at jsp_servlet._jsp._pages.__standardreview._jspService(__standardreview.java:1586)
at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspBase.service(JspBase.java:33)

Anyone has any idea ?

Best regards,
Franck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:12 am 
Regular
Regular

That is a socket connection error that occurred while flushing the servlet response output buffer. My guess is that the client closed the browser while the servlet container was trying to flush the response. When that happened, the servlet container detected a "broken pipe", which generally indicates that one side abrubtly terminated the connection without informing the other side.

This doesn't look like a Hibernate issue, although a similar error can occur if the the socket connection to a database is closed while Hibernate is trying to read or write data (which tends to happen more frequemently with LOBs).

- Jesse

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:51 am 

Thanks for this response, I could help me.

Did you already have this probelm ? Do you have a Java solution ?

Regards,
Franck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:52 am 

Is it a good idea to change the "timeout" into the "web.xml" file ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:02 am 

Hi,

I have got the same problem...
What do you do with timeout (I guess you speak about the session timeout) : you put a hughr or lower value ?
Mine is 11 minutes....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:47 pm 

Just wanted to chime in with my experience. Before I became a java junkie (actually before java was 1.0), I used to manage web sites for large companies. We got error log entries like this all the time (the "broken pipe" part, not the SocketException specifically, of course since they weren't java web servers). jesse_sweetland is right. The user probably closed his/her browser OR hit his/her stop button before the server was done writing it's response back to it. It also could have been a robot (web crawler) that gave up (no matter). I don't recall anyone ever really being able to "fix" that - it's kind of the nature of the web's request/reponse i/o model. I'm always willing to be proven wrong, though. If I remember correctly all we did was try to filter it out of the logs. Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear. It's not a Hibernate problem though.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]