-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Where did the XMLDataBinder go?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:45 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Basically all I want to do is export a collection of persistent objects to xml. I've discovered that java's own built in xmlencoder doesn't play nice with hibernate, so it was suggested I use hibernated xmldatabinder instead.
Ok, fair enough, but I'm on hibernate 3.0 and I can't seem to find the databinder anymore.

In the 2.1 series of hibernate there was an XMLDatabinder class:

net.sf.hibernate.xml.XMLDatabinder

I can't seem to find it anymore in my 3.0 distribution. Did it get depircated? Renamed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:17 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

XML databinding is now built-in, check the documentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:53 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

christian wrote:
XML databinding is now built-in, check the documentation.

I found the new XML code, but I'm not quite sure it does what I'm looking for. In my app, I won't know beforehand that a given set is going to end up in XML. It's just a data set that at some point the user may decide to export to xml (or they may not).

So I want to get it back from Hibernate as a list of POJOs and then (maybe) export it as an XML document. The Hibernate XML support I've found so far seems to require me to tell hibernate at query time that I want to get XML data back. Am I wrong on this? Alternately is there a quick and easy way to translate a POJO set into and XML set?

Below is the code snipper I'm working on for reference.

Code:
Document d;
      d = createDomDocument();
      Session session = HibHelper.getSession();
      Session dom4jSession = session.getSession(EntityMode.DOM4J);
      HibHelper.beginTransaction();

List results = dom4jSession.createCriteria("core.User").list();
      Element root = d.addElement( "root" );
      for ( int i=0; i<results.size(); i++ ) {

Element u = (Element) results.get(i);
          root.add(u);
      }

HibHelper.commitTransaction();
      try {
         FileWriter w = new FileWriter(f);
         d.write(w);
         w.close();
      } catch (IOException e) {
         Log.error(e);
      }

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:57 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

We will be adding a transform() method, when we get time to implement it. (It's mainly trivial to do, just got to figure out the details.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:17 am 

gavin wrote:
We will be adding a transform() method, when we get time to implement it. (It's mainly trivial to do, just got to figure out the details.)

this will be a very usefull feature!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:50 pm 

I am somewhat surprised to see that the XMLDatabinder is no longer part of the Hibernate package. The functionality it provided is exactly what was needed by those of us using Hibernate behind an Axis web-service.
If you factor in the convenience methods provided by Spring (such as getHibernateTemplate) that return a List type, then the utility of converting directly from a Collection to a DOM is invaluable.
I also like the concept of specifying an XSLT file to further format the data on the fly. I don't see how the 'latest' model in Hibernate is any better, in fact it's worse.

Please reconsider resurrecting the class, or make the process of returning a org.w3c.dom.Document less onerous.
Thanks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]