-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to convince my organization to use Hibernate
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:52 pm 

Hello,

We use a Sybase database and our DBAs tell us they cannot allow raw SQL to be run. The reason they give is in Sybase there is no way to monitor who is running raw SQL. Therefore we have to write Stored Procedures for everything.

Have anyone else run up against this block? How can I convince them that Hibernate is a good idea?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:13 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

hibernate 3 supports stored procedures.

(but anyhow, in my world view if a dba can say you are not allowed to use raw sql because he has a database that does not allow it; why can't you say he is not allowed to use a database that cannot monitor raw sql ? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:49 pm 

Quote:
[Hibernate3] Support for hand-written SQL

Hibernate's generated SQL may be anywhere overridden by handwritten SQL embedded in the mapping document. It is even possible to call a stored procedure for create/update/delete.

Yes, but doesn't this remove one of the main advantages of Hibernate? My goal is to stop writing SQL or Stored Procedures for each DB operation I need and hopefully speed up development significantly.

Re: Sybase

I was hoping someone here had a great story about how they having been using Hibernate with a high volume/traffic Sybase database. Something I could copy and paste and send off to the DBAs and say, how come this Sybase user has no problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:30 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

sure, that is why i like and use hibernate.
but we added stored procedure support for those who needed it (some of those are the people with angry mobs of dba's ;)

/max

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]