-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Java 5 Annotations and Hibernate
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:14 pm 
Regular
Regular

I'm migrating to Hibernate 3 and am trying to understand the benefits of utilizing Java 5 Annotations versus XDoclet for Hibernate mappings.

Since annotations can be included and read an runtime, it could be inferred that Hibernate XML Mappings (HBM.XML files) are no longer necessary. Do the Hibernate annotations replace HBM.XML files completely, or are the HBM.XML files generated from the annotations?

If the files are still generated, how do I accomplish this once all my source is annotated? Is there another Ant task I should look into?

Thank you for any and all help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:45 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

The annotations can stand alone. Annotated code does not generate HBMs to operate correctly. The annotation binder does its work to populate a configuration class (as does the HBM and the JDBC binder). There are examples to getting annotated POJOs working correctly. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:50 pm 
Regular
Regular

Thank you, David. That's an excellent idea to have the classes stand alone.

As a follow up question, does the Eclipse Console Tool for Hibernate 3 support these classes with annotations? In other words, for my "hibernate.cfg.xml" file, do I reference the non-existant HBM.XML files, or the annotated classes themselves?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:37 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

the console does not have support for loading annotated classes yet. it will get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:29 am 
Regular
Regular

Thank you for the reply, Max.

For archives, the console version at the time of this post is Hibernate Tools 3.0 alpha 1.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]