-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: EJB Transaction and Hibernate
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:47 pm 
Regular
Regular

Hi,

I am using Hibernate v2.1.7. Can someone please point me to the documentation where it states NOT to explicitly call begin transaction and commit transaction in an EJB transaction (say using Weblogic)?

I've repeatedly searched the "Hibernate in Action" book and online docs, but can't seem to find ample documentation on this.

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:33 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Senario: Call to a SLSB that is CMT. Hibernate transaction performed.

The transaction is managed by the container so there is no need to call the transaction API.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:53 pm 
Regular
Regular

david wrote:
Senario: Call to a SLSB that is CMT. Hibernate transaction performed.

The transaction is managed by the container so there is no need to call the transaction API.

Thanks. What is SLSB?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:45 am 
Expert
Expert

Stateless Session bean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:42 pm 
Regular
Regular

drj wrote:
Stateless Session bean

Thanks for the response. So, now I have two questions:

1. Is it necessary I use JTA with Hibernate in an EJB container? (Dis)advantages?

2. If I use JTA, then I only have to open, flush, and close the session to commit to the database?

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:32 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

There is little point in using a EJB container if your not using the facilties it offers (and is good at). Container Managed Transactions (CMT) is one of these facilties. Do you have to? NO. Should you? YES. It saves you a lot of work and concern.

Yes open, flush and close. Don't forget the include appropriate exception handling and rollback hint as required.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:22 pm 
Regular
Regular

david wrote:
There is little point in using a EJB container if your not using the facilties it offers (and is good at). Container Managed Transactions (CMT) is one of these facilties. Do you have to? NO. Should you? YES. It saves you a lot of work and concern.

Yes open, flush and close. Don't forget the include appropriate exception handling and rollback hint as required.

Thanks David. My problems were occuring because I didn't have the ejb.transaction flag set to "Required", instead it was set to "Supports". Now, when I open, flush, and close the session - it works just fine.

One last question, what 'rollback hint' are you referring to? You did not mention any nor have I read about it.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:37 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

CMT Context object has a method that allows you to tell (a hint to) the CMT engine to rollback the transaction rather than commiting it. Obviously, this would only normally happen if there was an exception of some description. Look at the J2EE API or an approrpiate EJB book for examples.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]