-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Special meaning of 'id' when naming properties?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:00 pm 

Hi,

I have a quick question regarding the naming of properties for hibernatable objects. Does the property 'id' have a special meaning? I'll post as little as neccessary, but I can give more details upon request. I tried this with Hibernate that comes bundled with jboss 3.2.6 and 4.0.1sp1 with the same results. I have a minimal object called Bernd with only two properties:

notTheId : This is the mapped, auto-generated primary key with an arbitrary property name that ends in 'id'. 'packageId', 'someOtherId' or anything alike does the trick.

id : This is just a property field with the name 'id'.

I try to query an instance of this object (both a Criteria query and a session.find(...) query give the same result):

Code:
List test = session.find("from Bernd as b where b.id='asking for id' and b.notTheId='asking for notTheId'");

Looking in the DEBUG log when this statement is called reveals, that somehow the property I query for gets changed from searching in id into whatever name the primary key field is, if it ends in ...Id as well:

Code:
15:07:56,579 DEBUG [JTATransaction] Looking for UserTransaction under: UserTransaction
15:07:56,580 DEBUG [JTATransaction] Obtained UserTransaction
15:07:56,580 DEBUG [JTATransaction] beginning new transaction
15:07:56,580 DEBUG [SessionImpl] find: from Bernd as b where b.id='asking for id' and b.notTheId='asking for notTheId'
15:07:56,581 DEBUG [QueryTranslator] compiling query
15:07:56,582 DEBUG [SessionImpl] flushing session
15:07:56,582 DEBUG [SessionImpl] Flushing entities and processing referenced collections
15:07:56,582 DEBUG [SessionImpl] Processing unreferenced collections
15:07:56,582 DEBUG [SessionImpl] Scheduling collection removes/(re)creates/updates
15:07:56,583 DEBUG [SessionImpl] Flushed: 0 insertions, 0 updates, 0 deletions to 0 objects
15:07:56,583 DEBUG [SessionImpl] Flushed: 0 (re)creations, 0 updates, 0 removals to 0 collections
15:07:56,583 DEBUG [SessionImpl] Dont need to execute flush
15:07:56,583 DEBUG [QueryTranslator] HQL: from com.getwellnetwork.workflow.jdo.Bernd as b where b.id='asking for id' and b.notTheId='asking for notTheId'
15:07:56,583 DEBUG [QueryTranslator] SQL: select bernd0_.notTheId as notTheId, bernd0_.id as id from Bernd bernd0_ where (bernd0_.notTheId='asking for id' )and(bernd0_.notTheId='asking for notTheId' )
15:07:56,584 DEBUG [BatcherImpl] about to open: 0 open PreparedStatements, 0 open ResultSets
15:07:56,585 DEBUG [SQL] select bernd0_.notTheId as notTheId, bernd0_.id as id from Bernd bernd0_ where (bernd0_.notTheId='asking for id')and(bernd0_.notTheId='asking for notTheId' )
15:07:56,585 INFO  [STDOUT] Hibernate: select bernd0_.notTheId as notTheId, bernd0_.id as id from Bernd bernd0_ where (bernd0_.notTheId='asking for id' )and(bernd0_.notTheId='asking for notTheId' )
15:07:56,585 DEBUG [BatcherImpl] preparing statement
15:07:56,586 DEBUG [Loader] processing result set
15:07:56,586 DEBUG [Loader] done processing result set (0 rows)

Note the two lines in there. First, Hibernate has it right:
15:07:56,580 DEBUG [SessionImpl] find: from Bernd as b where b.id='asking for id' and b.notTheId='asking for notTheId'

When it translates the query, it seems to have changed it:
15:07:56,583 DEBUG [QueryTranslator] SQL: select bernd0_.notTheId as notTheId, bernd0_.id as id from Bernd bernd0_ where (bernd0_.notTheId='asking for id' )and(bernd0_.notTheId='asking for notTheId' )

Any hint in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Bernd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:53 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Yes, HQL overrides your mapping file with it's own idea what a property named "id" is supposed to be. If you need your property "id" in HQL queries, you need to rename it. You could presumably alias it or something. But it's a big pain in the butt for no benefits.

The special property 'id' in HQL is a great annoyance to me, a showstopper, becasue I can't just decide not to use the name "id" for a normal property. My API/Object Model is from a standard and needs to use the standard names.

I have filed a bug report at http://opensource2.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HHH-1127 with a patch that "fixes" the problem for me. But that was simply closed without further comment, marked as "duplicate" without a link to the bug or discussion that it supposedly duplicates.

I think this is bad design of HQL and should somehow be repealed. It's an entirely unnecessary "feature" because all id properties have a normal name defined in the mapping file. If they wanted a "feature" they shouldn't just use up a normal looking property name, instead they should have used some special tag, such as x.@id or x.hibernateId or something less likely to conflict.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]