-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: One-2-Many, cascade="none" problem
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:10 am 

Hibernate version: 2.1.3 & 2.1.6

Mapping documents:
I use hibernate with spring in Tomcate, and I use the org.springframework.orm.hibernate.support.HibernateDaoSupport class for my DAO.

I have a relation Person <--1----*-->Book and in the Person class I have

private java.util.Collection book;
/**
* @hibernate.set
* lazy="true"
* cascade="none"
* @hibernate.collection-key
* column="OWNER_FK"
* @hibernate.collection-one-to-many
* class="com.mebi.entity.Book"
*/
public java.util.Collection getBook(){
return book;
}
public void setBook(java.util.Collection book){
this.book = book;
}

and in my Book class I have

private com.mebi.entity.Person owner;
/**
* @hibernate.many-to-one
* column="OWNER_FK"
* not-null="false"
* outer-join="true"
* unique="false"
* cascade="none"
*/
public com.mebi.entity.Person getOwner(){
return owner;
}
public void setOwner(com.mebi.entity.Person owner){
this.owner = owner;
}

but when I assign a Book to a Person and then I want to delete that person (the delete is done in a separate action and transaction), the person entity will be deleted and the book entity's foreign key will be set to null (the save-update cascade action!!!). Please pay attention that the cascade for Person to Book is set to none.

The code for delete is
getHibernateTemplate().delete("from Person obj where obj.id = '"+id+"'");[/b]

Post subject: Re: One-2-Many, cascade="none" problem
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:35 pm 
Expert
Expert

mebi wrote:
but when I assign a Book to a Person and then I want to delete that person (the delete is done in a separate action and transaction), the person entity will be deleted and the book entity's foreign key will be set to null ...

And what, may I ask, did you expect to happen?

Post subject: Re: One-2-Many, cascade="none" problem
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:05 am 

drj wrote:
mebi wrote:
but when I assign a Book to a Person and then I want to delete that person (the delete is done in a separate action and transaction), the person entity will be deleted and the book entity's foreign key will be set to null ...

And what, may I ask, did you expect to happen?

As you see, the cascade on the parent side is none, so when I delete a Person(parent side here), Hibernate shouldn't delete the one side, and then it must alert me.
But, when I don't mention the one side(my relation is unidirectional with <many-to-one/> tag only, which has a cascade=none) when I want to delete the one side I'll get a HibernateException for constaint failure(the foreign key constraint violation).

I want to say that in any case when I set the cascade=none, the delete action of parent must cause an exception to be thrown, because when I set cascade=none, Hibernate supposed to don't react in a save-update manner, but here it reacts in save-update manner.

I want to have a bidirectional one-2-many association, and when I want to delete the parent (which has at least one child), the hibernate throws an exception about foreign key constraint violation. I don't want hibernate delete the parent side and update all the children's foreign key to null. So what should I do?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]