-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to count the results of a query with GROUP BY?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:52 am 

I am searching for a way to count the number of rows that would be returned by a query with a group by clause.

For example a count(*) around this query:
select NAME, count(AGE) from PERSON where NAME like :nameParam group by NAME

This does not work (SQL semantics):
select count(*) from PERSON where NAME like :nameParam group by NAME

In SQL I could use a subquery in the from clause:
select count(*) from (select NAME, count(AGE) from PERSON where NAME like :nameParam group by NAME)

Hibernate does not support sub queries in the from clause. Is there a possibility to get the number of rows that would be returned by the first query?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:07 am 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
select count(*) from PERSON where NAME like :nameParam group by NAME

This query is correct.
What is your database ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:05 am 

Thank you for the answer. Sorry, I chose a wrong example. This is a correct example (I replaced the count(AGE) with sum(AGE)): I group according to name and then sum the ages of all persons in a group.

[img]select%20NAME,%20sum(AGE)%20from%20PERSON%20where%20NAME%20like%20:nameParam%20group%20by%20NAME[/img]

I now need a way to calculate the number of rows that would be returned by the above query. But the following query counts how many items belong to each group.

[img]select%20count(*)%20from%20PERSON%20where%20NAME%20like%20:nameParam%20group%20by%20NAME[/img]

The solution in SQL would be:

[img]select%20count(*)%20from%20(select%20NAME,%20sum(AGE)%20from%20PERSON%20where%20NAME%20like%20:nameParam%20group%20by%20NAME)[/img]

You can't do this with Hibernate because it does not support subqueries in the from clause. Am I right? And is there a solution with Hibernate?

Best Regards,
Oliver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:23 am 

One further addition: I need a general solution that works in cases where more than one attributes are specified in the group by clause.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

try

select count(distinct name) from person where name like ...

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:56 am 

Well, you are right. This is the solution for my example above. But unfortunately, as I have written in my last post, I need a general solution that works too if there are more than one grouping attributes:

Code:
select NAME, CITY, sum(AGE) from PERSON where NAME like :nameParam and CITY like :cityParam group by NAME, CITY

(String name;
String city;
int age;)

Your statement does not work here because count() allows only one parameter.

My question remains: Is there any way to count the number of rows that would be returned by this query without actually executing it? (That is to use the count() function somehow or any other way).

This all would be no problem if Hibernate would support subqueries in the from clause - a really missing feature in my opinion.

I hope that my example is complete now. In my real query, there are more than one aggregate functions in the select clause, but I really hope that this makes no difference. To tell the whole story: I use such a query in an application that uses paging (implemented using the Hibernate paging functionalities, which work fine). In addition to displaying one page of results, I have to display the total number of hits. But I did not find any way to do this without executing the complete (none-paged) query. By the way: We use Oracle 9i which implements the paging quite good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:28 am 
Expert
Expert

I use next :

String query = ...;
Query q = session.createQuery(query);
q.setParameter(...);
ScrollableResults scr = q.scroll();
scr.last();
size = scr.getRowNumber();

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:33 am 

That looks interesting.

Thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:23 am 
omisch wrote:
That looks interesting.

Thanks a lot!

... but is not always a good solution. There exist some DBMS (like hsqldb) which suport cursors only in memory: it loads the entire resultset to memory, resulting in an out of memory exception.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:31 pm 

Quote:
... but is not always a good solution. There exist some DBMS (like hsqldb) which suport cursors only in memory: it loads the entire resultset to memory, resulting in an out of memory exception.

What would be the alternative in this case ?

I'm facing the problem that we need to support both MySQL and MSSQL, they both support subqueries in the from clause, but not Hibernate ...

- Pascal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:09 am 

Did you try using a native SQL query? session.createSQLQuery("...")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:47 am 

Yes, this is what we are currently doing, but it's sad to see that we were 100% hql before, and now, 98% ...

We though that there was maybe another solution that we were not aware of.

It's more about principles.

- Pascal

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]