-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Two problems using Hibernate
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:46 pm 

Hello,

I'm new to Hibernate and I want to use it for my new project. I have written some very simple tests with it. I have two problems:

1. I have an entity with an unique constraint (<unique = true>) and when I insert a duplicate record Hibernate raise a JDBCException. How do I make the diference between the UNIQUE CONSTRAINT VIOLATION and other exceptions? My code looks like this:

Code:
Session session = HibernateUtil.getSession();
Transaction tx = session.beginTransaction();
try
{
  session.saveOrUpdate(user);
  HibernateUtil.commitTransaction();
}
catch
{
//
}
finally
{
  HibernateUtil.closeSession();
}

2. I use DAO for loading/saving objects with hibernate. In every method I have HibernateUtil.getSession(); and HibernateUtil.closeSession(). My problem is when I call a DAO method from another DAO method. In the first method I open the session and the second method closes the session. (because I have HibernateUtil.getSession() and HibernateUtil.closeSession() in every method). The second method is called directly from the user interface, so I can't remove HibernateUtil.getSession() and HibernateUtil.closeSession(). I want the method who opens the session to close the session. Any ideea about how can I make it work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:09 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Regarding your 2nd questions, take a look at the ThreadLocal pattern or the Spring framework (this is really the best solution - Spring and Hibernate together just sing!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:24 am 

Hi,

To identify database constraints violation you will need to get the errcode from the JDBCException. This error code canl be specify to the DB vendor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:05 am 
Expert
Expert

For Question 1.

You should make sure, that this never happens. See http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=933495.

HTH
Ernst

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]