-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Using Servlet filters to close Sessions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:31 pm 

Hibernate Version: 2.1

Mapping documents: generic

Code between sessionFactory.openSession() and session.close(): generic DAO code

Name and version of the database you are using: MySQL 4

Debug level Hibernate log excerpt: debug; N/A

I remember somebody else posted a question about closing a Hibernate Session with a Servlet filter and whether or not it violated the J2EE specification (which I think it did). It seems to be the recommended strategy (for now) and it does "work on all platforms".

But I just don't get a good feeling about a design where you open a session in the DAO code and then have to remember to close it somewhere in some other unrelated code. Does this bother other developers, too?

Is there any elegant strategy that anyone can think of for management of the Hibernate Session lifecycle?

I'm considering implementing and using ServletRequestListeners that could open and close Hibernate Sessions automatically, but this ends up binding Hibernate code into the Servlet Actions, which I don't like.

I'm a beginning J2EE developer, so I'm rather unsure of myself, but I'm willing to put a little time into implementing (and donating) an elegant, reusable solution if I can be sure my basic strategy will be successful.

Does the idea I've laid out above strike any of you gurus as promising? Should I give it a try?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:57 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
But I just don't get a good feeling about a design where you open a session in the DAO code and then have to remember to close it somewhere in some other unrelated code. Does this bother other developers, too?

What makes you think that it is closed by "unrelated code"? The code that closes the Session was specifically written for that purpose. Its like a Listener that is called when an Event was executed, nothing else. There is nothing bad about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:58 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

And it doesn't violate any specification, as far as I know. (Please quote the paragraph and spec version whenever you say something like this.)

Post subject: Violate J2EE spec?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:29 am 

christian wrote:
And it doesn't violate any specification, as far as I know. (Please quote the paragraph and spec version whenever you say something like this.)

Christian,

I think he referred to this post:
<http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=933680&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=servlet+filter+j2ee>

Regards,

Jos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:59 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

So, use an interceptor of your J2EE server, its the same. Out of the spec, but works.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]