-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: using outer-join with 'joined subclasses'?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:55 am 
Expert
Expert

Hibernate version:

Hi there,

is it possible to use outer-join with "joined-subclasses"?

Background:
It's not possible to add a version-column to exisiting database-tables (due to existing applications which should not be changed). Therefore i want to add a seperate table for versioning. The version-information is kept in a root-class (for each object a different one).

The mapping will work via "joined-subclass".

The Problem is, that there're about >20 million records in the current db and i 'm not allowed to add a version-record to all of them.

Therefore it would be a possiblity to use "outer-join"-fetching and adding a version-number (if it's null or '0') 'by hand'.

I haven't managed it so far to use a one-to-one-Relationship with versioning, so this is my last option not to use "optimistic-lock='all'" with 'detached objects' ... (i hope my 'hibernate in action'-book will arrive soon)

Mapping for version-root-object:
Code:
<hibernate-mapping>
<class
    name="hibernate.test.EntryVersion"
    table="testtable_v"
    optimistic-lock="version">

<id
      name="id"
      column="id"
      type="integer"
      unsaved-value="0">
      <generator class="increment"/>
   </id>

<version column="version" name="version"/>

<joined-subclass name="hibernate.test.Entry" table="testtable">
      <key column="id"/>
      <property name="changefield" type="string"/>
   </joined-subclass>
</class>
</hibernate-mapping>

Mapping for data-object:
Code:
<hibernate-mapping>
<class
    name="hibernate.test.Entry"
    table="testtable">

<id
      name="id"
      column="id"
      type="integer"
      unsaved-value="0">

<generator class="increment"/>
   </id>

<property
      name="changeField"
      column="changeField"
      type="string"
      length="100"/>   
</class>
</hibernate-mapping>

I've tried setting "hibernate.use_outer_join=true" and "hibernate.max_fetch_depth=0" but wihtout a result. I hope this is a rfm-question and i'm only a little stupid ;)
I wasn't able to find 'outer-join' for 'joined-subclass' in the mapping-dtd.

Another possiblity would be using proxies. But it wouldn't be easy handling all situations ... i don't like it.

A third alternativ is to write my own persister for that ... if the version-entry is not available i could create one and retry the "select" ...
This is my favorit, if 'outer-join" is not possible.

thx!
carsten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:36 am 
Expert
Expert

okay ... writing my own Persister isn't really a good idea, because it won't handle all situations.

The only possibililty for me using "version"-columns seems to depend on using "outer-join" with a joind-subclass because the ibm db2 on as400 doesn't support anything which i've found so far (including instead-of-trigger).

it would be great if someone has an idea how to manage outer-joins with joined-subclasses ...

and if i'm only completely blind, you can hit me and i'll go back to school and learn something different ;-)

thx!
carsten

P.S.: Using my own HQL to load a class is a way which i wouldn't like to go because i think it will be difficult doing it in a generic way ... (must be for all 'read-methods' like 'load', 'get', 'find' etc..)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]