-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: SQL Server Identity
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:38 am 

Geniuses,

I have a table in SQL Server whose ID field is an IDENTITY type. We have the
Code:
public boolean onSave(Session s) throws CallbackException

overriden to call a method that generates another field. But to method requires the ID value!! Is there way that I can ID value to pass to my function prior to the 'full-save'? I know that Hibernate utilizes the 'select @@IDENTITY' but thats after the save.

Thanks,

jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:00 pm 

ok another problem.... SQL Server go fig... How can I get the next value of the IDENTITY field and how do I configure or implement something in Hibernate to handle this?

Thanks and regards,

Jay

(PS- I'm starting to really dislike MSSQL!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:09 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

identity generator is done for this for the id

if you wanna hit this for another field, write a JDBC method in a DAO layer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:08 am 
jTDS Developer
jTDS Developer

Jay,

There's no way to find out what the next generated identity value is going to be, from a very simple reason: even if you had a way to find out, there would be a chance that someone else inserted a row between the moment you found out the value and the moment you made your insert.

If you really find Oracle sequences that convenient, you could either write a stored procedure to generate sequences based on a table with counters (lock the row, get the value, increment, unlock). You could even write a (very simple) Dialect implementation to handle sequence generation in Hibernate using your stored procedure.

On the other hand, there's no problem with the "full-save". If something occurs after you inserted the row and found out the generated id, you can always rollback the transaction. (I guess you're doing this inside a transaction, aren't you?)

Alin.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]