-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: mapping 2 tables into one class
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:55 am 
Regular
Regular

I'm using Hibernate 2.1.3. The documents describe how to use "components" to map a single table into two classes (eg User, Address).

I'm working with a legacy database that has two tables that have a one-to-one relationship however the second table has just one additional column and instead of mapping these as 2 classes, I'd like to map these two tables into one class. Consider a User table and UserDetail table where the UserDetail table only has a "phone" column. I would like to map this to a single User class that in addition to the members corresponding to the User table, has a "phone" member as well.

Thanks,
Sanjiv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:05 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

In Hibernate3, you can use the <join> element. In Hibernate 2 this is not possible, you will have to use something like a hidden one-to-one association.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:40 am 

Michael,

Please could you elaborate on the solution for the "mapping 2 tables into one class" solution in Hibernate 2.1.x

I am using a legacy database and need to map two tables into a single class, it is also a one-to-one relationship. This is currently being done with a view which encapsulates a simple select with a join on primary keys.

I was hoping to move this join out to the hibernate mapping.

You mention
Quote:
hidden one-to-one association
... in regards to the example from sjivan... does this mean wrap the UserDetail.Phone column in a class itself and then have it as a member of the User class?

I have many columns in both tables and so this would get quite clumsy...

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:43 am 

Sorry, my first post above was missing a paragraph? Here is it complete

Michael,

Please could you elaborate on the solution for the "mapping 2 tables into one class" solution in Hibernate 2.1.x

I am using a legacy database and need to map two tables into a single class, it is also a one-to-one relationship. This is currently being done with a view which encapsulates a simple select with a join on primary keys.

I was hoping to move this join out to the hibernate mapping.

You mention
Quote:
hidden one-to-one association

in regards to the example from sjivan... does this mean wrap the UserDetail.Phone column in a class itself and then have it as a member of the User class?

I have many columns in both tables and so this would get quite clumsy...

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:08 am 
Expert
Expert

An other approach is to map the two tables to two calsses and make them looking as one by having a facade class above the two.

If you use a DAO pattern you could write a DAO for the facade in order to hide the two mapped classes from the business logic.

HTH
Ernst

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:09 am 

ernst_pluess thanks for the help,

I have considered this as well and using views in the database... but both are moving the problem "out of" Hibernate. I was looking for a solution that I could configure in the mapping file.

Looks like Hibernate3 contains what I am really seeking...

http://www.hibernate.org/21.html#A26
http://blog.hibernate.org/cgi-bin/blosx ... /join.html

Thanks,
Miles

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]