-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: how to map a denormalized parent child relation?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:35 pm 
Expert
Expert

I've a Table, lets call it A. This Table stores a parent child relation in a denormalized way. I could (in theory) split A
into A1(1)<--A2(n) which forms a 1:n relation.

This of course means every column of A1 is duplicated for every corresponding A2. With a
Code:
select distinc all_columns_of_A1 from A
I would get what TableA1 should be.

Furhter more I've to stick to the following requirements:
  1. I've about 50 Tables which follow the (anti?)pattern descirbed above.
  2. This tables do reference each other with 1:1, 1:n and m:n relations.
  3. I've to live with composite ids, but I've a CompositeUserType and my own IdGenerator so I can use the id tag and rellay on cascading where usefull.
  4. I can't do heavy changes (i.e. normalize the tables), because an other application is using the schema as well.
  5. I can do addons like creating a view representing A1 or create a A1 table and update it with a trigger if A is updated/inserted.

My question is how I can map this with Hibernate?

I tried already to map it by creating a view A1 with
Code:
select distinc all_columns_of_A1 from A
and have TableA1-->TableA forming a parent child relation.

This works fine until hibernate tries to update the view. By not using the cascading I managed to avoid the insert/update calls to the view, but then
I get an exception telling me, that I have to call save for A1. If there's a way to tell hibernate not to do inserts/updates for the view I could get it to work this way.

An other approach I was thinkin about was to create a real table A1 so hibernate can insert/update it.
The point here is, that I must be sure that hibernate always updates/inserts the parent A1 before it updates/inserts the children A in order I can write a trigger which fills A1 if A is updated/inserted without a corresponding A1 by the non hibernated application.

I'm hoping that someone can point me to a nice hibernate feature which solves the problem nicely :-).

TIA
Ernst

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:13 am 
Expert
Expert

I try to simplify my questions:
  1. Assume I have the following DB schema:

TableA<--ViewB<--TableC

ViewB consists solely of colums of TableC.

I want to map this to:
    ClassA-->ClassB-->ClassC

All --> are parent child relaitions.

How can I tell hibernate not to do any updates/inserts on ViewB?
  2. Assume the following DB schema:

TableA<--TableB

And I want this with a parent child relation to
    ClassA-->ClassB
    Is it guaranteed, that the inserts/updateds for TableA are executed before the inserts/updates for TableB?

Of course I would still be very happy to see an other approach to map a denormalized parent child relation.

TIA
Ernst

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:47 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

If you already got a view, can't you just create insert/update/save triggers for it? e.g. make it updateable?

Or if you just want to read the data, map the class with mutable=false

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:46 am 
Expert
Expert

Thanks Michael, that's a good idea.

I tried it with Oracle and it does exactly what I want it to do.
I'v to support Sybase as well. After checking the docs, I think Sybase cannot have triggers on views :-(.

Their's no direct way of mapping the denormalized table to parent-child classes?

TIA
Ernst

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:48 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

No, no builitin way (at least none with reasonable effort). You will have to solve this at the database level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:48 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Probably if you can wait for Hibernate3, you could solve it there by defining custom SQL queries for the CRUD operations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:27 am 
Expert
Expert

With Hibernate3, in order to prevent any insert/updates could I map something like that:
Code:
<sql-insert>select 1</sql-insert>
<sql-update>select 1</sql-update>

TIA
Ernst

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:31 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

You can also just use mutable=false in your class mappings, even in H2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:28 am 
Expert
Expert

That was my very first try, but this seamed to have no effect at all.
If I called save for the class mapped with mutable=false, hibernate tryied to insert into the view, if I omited the save I got an exception telling me to call save ...

AFAIK mutable=false means, that this table/view never changes. But that's not true for my view, since the underlying table does change.
If I create a new ClassB and a new ClassC everything must be written into the denormalized TableC, which works fine with oracle and the trigger.

Quote:
TableA<--ViewB<--TableC

ViewB consists solely of colums of TableC.

I want to map this to:
ClassA-->ClassB-->ClassC

Is my understanding of mutable ok?

TIA
Ernst

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:02 am 
Expert
Expert

Oky doky. I just gave hibernate 3 a try and mapped the parent as you can see below. (the loader and sql-insert tags are the interesting ones)

Since the Oracle jdbc driver is flexible enough to execute a select statement where an insert or update should come, this works fine.

But I'm again at a loss with Sybase. It does not accept the select (minus the dual of course). I replaced it with a "no op" update, but then hibernate isn't happy because the returned row count is 0 instead of 1. (see exception stack trace below)

I also tried to map the columns with a formula, but this produced a ClassCastException (see below).

Any ideas about how to map this with h3 for Oracle and Sybase are very welcome!

TIA
Ernst

Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE hibernate-mapping PUBLIC "-//Hibernate/Hibernate Mapping DTD//EN" "http://hibernate.sourceforge.net/hibernate-mapping-3.0.dtd">
<hibernate-mapping>
   <class
      name="ch.bedag.gba.cap.server.business.model.grundstueck.GebaeudeHist" table="TAR">
      <id name="myPk"
         type="ch.bedag.gba.cap.server.persistence.hibernate.CapiPkType" access="field">
         <column name="FAR01" sql-type="systemId" not-null="true"/>
         <column name="FAR03" sql-type="id" not-null="true"/>
         <generator class="ch.bedag.gba.cap.server.persistence.hibernate.CapiIdentifierGenerator"/>
      </id>
      <many-to-one name="myGrundstueck" update="false" insert="false" access="field"
            class="ch.bedag.gba.cap.server.business.model.grundstueck.Grundstueck">
         <column name="FAR01"/>
         <column name="FAR07"/>
      </many-to-one>
      <property name="myGrundstueckPID" column="FAR07" access="field"></property>
      <loader query-ref="loadGrundstueckHist"/>
      <sql-insert>select ?, ?, ? from dual  -- instead of calling update on TAR</sql-insert>
      <sql-update>select ?, ?, ? from dual  -- instead of calling update on TAR</sql-update>
      <sql-delete>select ?, ?, ? from dual  -- instead of calling delete on TAR</sql-delete>      
   </class>
   <sql-query name="loadGrundstueckHist">
      <return alias="g" class="ch.bedag.gba.cap.server.business.model.grundstueck.GebaeudeHist"/>
      select distinct FAR01 as {g.myPk.systemId},
                      FAR03 as {g.myPk.id},
                      FAR07 as {g.myGrundstueckPID}
         from TAR
   </sql-query>
</hibernate-mapping>

Exception with not machting row count:
Code:
org.hibernate.HibernateException: SQL insert, update or delete failed (row not found)
   at org.hibernate.jdbc.NonBatchingBatcher.addToBatch(NonBatchingBatcher.java:25)
   at org.hibernate.persister.BasicEntityPersister.insert(BasicEntityPersister.java:1598)
   at org.hibernate.persister.BasicEntityPersister.insert(BasicEntityPersister.java:1878)
   at org.hibernate.action.EntityInsertAction.execute(EntityInsertAction.java:37)
   at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.executeAll(SessionImpl.java:1224)
   at org.hibernate.event.AbstractFlushingEventListener.performExecutions(AbstractFlushingEventListener.java:516)
   at org.hibernate.event.DefaultFlushEventListener.onFlush(DefaultFlushEventListener.java:26)
   at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.flush(SessionImpl.java:1191)
   at org.hibernate.transaction.JDBCTransaction.commit(JDBCTransaction.java:61)
   at ch.bedag.gba.cap.server.persistence.hibernate.HibernateDAO$HibernateTrx.commit(HibernateDAO.java:156)
   at ch.bedag.gba.server.persistence.TransactionManager.commitTransaction(TransactionManager.java:84)
   at ch.bedag.gba.cap.server.persistence.hibernate.HibernateHistTestCase.testReferenceToHistorized(HibernateHistTestCase.java:61)

Exception with formula in colum tags:
Code:
java.lang.ClassCastException
   at org.hibernate.cfg.Binder.makeIdentifier(Binder.java:1212)
   at org.hibernate.cfg.Binder.bindRootClass(Binder.java:465)
   at org.hibernate.cfg.Binder.bindRoot(Binder.java:1570)
   at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.add(Configuration.java:336)
   at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.addDocument(Configuration.java:325)
   at ch.bedag.gba.cap.server.persistence.hibernate.HibernateUtil.<init>(HibernateUtil.java:129)
   at ch.bedag.gba.cap.server.persistence.hibernate.HibernateUtil.<init>(HibernateUtil.java:94)
   at ch.bedag.gba.cap.server.persistence.hibernate.HibernateUtil$Booter.boot(HibernateUtil.java:270)
   at ch.bedag.gba.common.bootstrap.BootLevel.boot(BootLevel.java:107)
   at ch.bedag.gba.common.bootstrap.BootLevel.boot(BootLevel.java:102)
   at ch.bedag.gba.common.bootstrap.AppBootstrap.boot(AppBootstrap.java:49)
   at ch.bedag.gba.cap.server.application.CapiServerBootStrap.bootAll(CapiServerBootStrap.java:60)
   at ch.bedag.gba.cap.server.application.CapiServer.main(CapiServer.java:31)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]