-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate + WebLogic 8.1
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:48 am 
Senior
Senior

Hi all,

I need some help to find a good howto or informations about hibernate integration into WebLogic 8.1 SP2.
I already work with JBoss and I use a ***.sar but with WebLogic I find nothing who explain me the "good" method to use and configure Hibernate on this server.
I know that I could find few info on the web but I m very short on time so you can contact me by e-mail.

Thanks in advance for all your helps.
Kind regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:49 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Maybe you can contact BEA for support?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:58 am 
Senior
Senior

Hi Christian,

I work for the European Commission and it's very hard to contact dedicated BEA support for the EU quickly.
I only want in a few words the best way to use Hibernate into BEA.
I sorry to take your time because I know it's not easy for you to read all posts.
I can see on the site that another service of UE use Hibernate so I try to contact them but without response...
thanks & regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:02 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Well, as long as you can wait, there's our forum, but I doubt someone will assist you personally per email. Anyway, there shouldn't be any problems: Hibernate needs a Datasource in JNDI, so you have to set this up in Weblogic somehow (don't ask me). Then tell Hibernate where the Datasource is and the JNDI name where a JTA UserTransaction can be obtained. Thats it, unless you want to use the second-level cache. In this case, also tell Hibernate which TransactionManagerLookupClass it should use.

The rest is pretty much the same everywhere, just write a Hibernate application/DAO/whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:04 am 
Senior
Senior

Ok, because usually I use JBosse service but with WLS it's not possible I hate WLS:)
Ok thanks for your information Christian for these information.
Have nice day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:14 am 
Senior
Senior

Hi Christian,

I work for the UE and it's very hard to contact dedicated BEA support for the EU quickly.
I only want in a few words the best way to use Hibernate into BEA.
I sorry to take your time because I know it's not easy for you to read all posts.
I can see on the site that another service of UE use Hibernate so I try to contact them but without response...
thanks & regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:15 am 
Senior
Senior

Sorry for the last post, it's a mistke....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:08 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

How's it not possible with WL8.1? I've used Hibernate with both WL6.1 and 8.1. It works fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:46 am 
Senior
Senior

I speak about Jboss services... it's not possible on WLS :+)
I'll try with a BEA RAR, or a startup class to initialize Hibernate.
Thanks for all.

Kind regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:03 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Sure a jboss service would not be usable in weblogic.

I'd not use a startup class. If you go that route (at least up through 6.1), you'd need to stop/restart the entire server to redeploy your session factory. Perhaps thats been changed in 8.1, but I doubt it.

Use a startup servlet instead. Thats the approach I used. It works great. Even if its an ejb application, wrap it in an ear with a war solely performing the startup functionality. As a bonus, this approach is very portable :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:30 am 
Senior
Senior

Yes an init servlet is the best way to initialize all framework in general, this is the solution that I use very often.
I don't like WLS :+)
Thanks for all guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:31 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

subich wrote:
Yes an init servlet is the best way to initialize all framework in general, this is the solution that I use very often.
I don't like WLS :+)
Thanks for all guys

I disagree, I use Weblogic 7 and 8.1 for quite a time now and my frameworks are lately called and thus lately initialized. No need for an init servlet of any kind.
Plus servlets have their own Classloader on Java2, it leads to painful bugs if not well understood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:51 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Depends what you mean by "lately initialized". If you mean upon first request, I think thats not ideal for something like Hibernate that takes quite some time for initialization. The first user request would then incur the time it takes Hibernate to initialize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:22 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Well, in a web model, it is fine. I had way more pain with jsp compile process ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:43 am 
Senior
Senior

Well Emmanuel,

We can speak a lot about initialization, bur the aim of an init servlet is that on each app server that you ll use.
All your properties files... of any framework will be right loaded and for example if you are using hibernate on jboss and you must migrate to wls.
You have only the wls conf files to add.
I think that you ll agree with me that migrate an application to a new app server is very fastidious task.

But it's ok than everyone has their own habits to organize it with the goal to provide more portable than possible.

One very good framework for this is Spring :) So nice to use and very light.

AOP and IOC have changed my life :)

Kind regards all.

Emmanuel and Steve thks to you for all information you give on this forum.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]