-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: why is the class SessionImpl final?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:54 am 

Hi,

I would like to extend (minor modify) the class 'SessionImpl', which is final.
Ok, I could write my own implementation of the interface 'Session' using a Decorator-Pattern delegating most work to a wrapped SessionImpl-object. But I'm not sure, if this is a good idea - because the class is final by design, not by mistake.

What is the reason for this design-decision? Is it ok to use my own implementation (createt by my own Factory 'DbSessionManager')?

thanks

-uwe-

--

Hibernate version: 2.1.4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:20 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

It is final because that is not a supported extension point. What is it you are trying to do. Perhaps someone can suggest a better way, if we knew what you were trying to acheive by extending SessionImpl.

Plus extension of SessionImpl would be very dangerous. There's a lot of intricate state involved there of which you would need to have intimate knowledge to appropriately extend it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:25 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Just use a wrapper around the normal SessionImpl if you want to implement custom functionality - this is much safer. And tell us what you want to do, perhaps we can suggest an easier way :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:39 am 

michael wrote:
Just use a wrapper around the normal SessionImpl if you want to implement custom functionality - this is much safer. And tell us what you want to do, perhaps we can suggest an easier way :)

Hibernate 3.1

I write web-service application (fully singletone class, working with hibernate db)
I need track information about user who initialized some action with database. Session object is accessible through all event listeners. If i could have possibility to set and get arbitrary object with session - this might solve many problems (e.g. authorization).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]