-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How is "Hibernate In Action"
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:40 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Anyone have an opinion on "Hibernate In Action"?

I'm wondering if it goes into detail about more complex cases or if it's just a slower version of the online docs. The Table of Contents is the only information that Manning or Amazon seem to have, and doesn't give me any indication of how in depth it might be.

Any opinions are appreciated.
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:45 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Let me put it like this: It took us 18 months to write it. I think that "very detailed" is an underestimation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:56 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Great. I'll be ordering it today, I just wish Manning had a longer TOC up. I got the O'Reilly notebook when it came out, and I'm disappointed - there's sooooo much it doesn't touch.

Hibernate is a beautiful thing. When I can't figure something out, though, it's incredibly frustrating. Like being given a Ferrari without knowing how to adjust the seat so that you can reach the pedals.

Or a better analogy. I've just broken my promise to not post before drinking enough coffee. oops...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:59 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

It wouldn't be good style to talk much about the O'Reilly book, but I've read it. Let's just say that i can't recommend the book, not even for beginners, it has many many serious flaws and errors. E.g., all the assumptions and code examples about transactions are plain wrong. The author apparently only learned Hibernate when he wrote the book and just wrote down what he had in mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:09 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Okay, just my opinion, Hibernate in Action definately is not a "beginners introduction style" book. It is surely good for learning Hibernate, but it also gives you a hell of information about the more advanced concepts. I can only recommend buying it if you intend to use Hibernate seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:31 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Great book. Highly recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:47 am 
Expert
Expert

An opinion of a non hibernate team user:
It is so-so book... I am joking :) Seriously, the book is great! PDF version is cheap enough, lesser than $20. If I had this book 2-3 months earlier, escpecially chapters 5 and 7, I saved lotsa hair on my head :) Thanks to the authors.

--
Leonid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:11 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hibernate in Action is actually very good. It should be subtitled "Everything you wanted to know about Hibernate but we weren't going to tell you in the API or other documentation ;)"

Seriously though, there is a large wealth in information in there and it is fairly well written. I want to take the time to read it start to finish at some point but for right now it has been picking up a chapter here and there to figure out how we're abusing things ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:13 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

VampBoy wrote:
Hibernate in Action is actually very good. It should be subtitled "Everything you wanted to know about Hibernate but we weren't going to tell you in the API or other documentation ;)"

Actually, I think that the content is basically the same, at least from a "reference" standpoint. Of course, the Hibernate reference documentation has no story or handholding (or much tips on application design), but thats how it should be. I think no one would have waited 18 months for a reference documentation :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:38 pm 

Does the book offer examples and information on one-to-many and many-to-one relationships, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:40 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Sure, we had to fill 432 pages.

Post subject: Question
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:14 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Does the book go in to detail on how to integrate Hibernate with JBoss and other EJB application servers?

Like the example on http://www.hibernate.org/66.html but better? I'm currently struggling through this. :(

-David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:19 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Not much, we tried to be as framework/appserver-agnostic as possible (for obvious reasons). However, more JBoss/Hibernate documentation is in the pipeline, as well as some deployment enhancments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:50 pm 
Expert
Expert

great book

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:14 am 

really a great book thanks for your work

i think a detailed index at the end would be useful.

would the final version have one?

Torsten

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next