-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: sending object to applet, needs hibernate classes??
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:12 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

i have a domain object, say Emploee, with a List of Children, everything works find in my web app world, but i have an applet that needs to get a copy of this domain object (serialized the object over HTTP and de-serialize in applet).. now my applet is getting ClassNotFoundExceptions.. looking for the sneaky classes that hibernate replaces in a List (xxx.xx.hibernate.List).. so it looks like my applet needs to include the boat load of hibernate classes required by hibernate, which sucks hugely.

is this correct?

thanks
G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:34 pm 
Regular
Regular

it's not the nicest solution but I wonder what would happen if you used non-lazy collections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:31 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

hibernate
cglib
and commons logging is required AFFAIK
We planned to do a client jar version of Hibernate when we will have some time.

The hibernate requirement is mandatory because of the (so cool) dettach support

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:53 pm 
Regular
Regular

emmanuel wrote:
hibernate
cglib
and commons logging is required AFFAIK
We planned to do a client jar version of Hibernate when we will have some time.

The hibernate requirement is mandatory because of the (so cool) dettach support

This is interesting (in this context). Could you point me to information about using Hibernate-persisted POJOs across detached media, i.e. SOAP or EJB exchanges? Do the POJOs have to be fully serialized or can lazy instantiation be exploited?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:12 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Actually this is a long subject I can't really discuss on a forum. The objects are serialized and deserialized (the java way) so SOAP won't work.
In case of a proxied and uninitialized object (or collection), the proxy is passed and a LazyInitializationException will be thrown when you try to access it.
You can read the reference guide for some information or even better Hibernate In Action, all that stuff is very well explained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:43 am 
Regular
Regular

Emmanuel, thanks for the primer, and I'm very much looking forward to reading about it in the book (would they print that thing already?! :-) )

I think I understand the issues around proxies and uninitialized objects, but I haven't seen a summary about how to best implement Hibernate when it's serving up data through EJBs or the increasingly popular SOAP protocol. I imagine that with EJBs, you could catch LazyInitializationException in the client and go back to retrieve a deeper graph, but with SOAP, you might never know that the POJO was incomplete.

Does this mean that it's impractical to use lazy instantiation over SOAP services? Do you know if the book covers this issue specifically?

Thanks in advance!
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:50 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

The book isnot printed yet but the electronic version is partially available in the Manning Early Access.
You could add a wrapper on top of your SOAP layer and suppose null value means uninitialized.

Be careful however, loading a unitialized part of a graph from a dettached object leads to break the data consistency... we no not recommand that (and did not write a wrapper on top of remote access.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:08 pm 
Regular
Regular

Thanks again Emmanuel! I appreciate your point about the dettached objects and am shy about using nulls as an uninitialized indicator.

I think I'm beginning to lean towards using slimmed-down data transfer objects (only) in the SOAP service layer and above, or creating totally non-lazy Hibernate domain objects for the SOAP services to use. Sure, you don't get the (wonderful) benefits of laziness, but the complexity that laziness adds to dettached Hibernate objects seems to outweigh its benefits.

It should be underscored that this is not a Hibernate limitation - it is simply one of lazy instantiation vs. dettached object consumption. You still get to keep all the other goodies, like a pure object model, multiple levels of caching, etc.

Or am I wrong?

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:23 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I think this is what other SOAP guys do.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]