-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Can This Data Model Even be Mapped with Hibernate?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:10 pm 

I'm trying to map to an existing datamodel for an older product we are migrating to Java.

I have tried ever way to map this collection over the last few days with no success.

Code:

-----------------------      ------------------------      -----------------------
|  Person             |      |  Phone_Nums          |      |   Business          |
-----------------------      ------------------------      -----------------------
|  Person_Id (PK)     |      |  Phone-Nums_Id (CK)  |      |   Business_Id (PK)  |
|  F_Name             |      |  Order (CK)          | ---- |   Name              |
|  L_Name             | ---- |  Number              |      |   Phone_Nums_Id (FK)|
|  AGE                |      |  Comment             |      -----------------------
|  Phone_Nums_Id (FK) |      ------------------------
-----------------------

Person and Business each have a collection of phone nums hanging off of them however there is no junction table. One part of a composite key (the Phone_Nums_Id) from the phone nums is referenced in the person and business tables.

To further complicate things, in the Person and Business tables, Phone_Nums_Id isn't technically a FK as in the relationship is not enforced in the test database I'm using.

I would like to construct Person and Business to have a collection of Phone_Nums on them however the mapping is eluding me. Using composite elements I am able to have hibernate properly build the query however it passes in the wrong search Criteria. For example for Person it passes in the Person_Id value instead of the Phone_Nums_Id on the record thus returning no or incorrect results.

Is what I'm attempting to do even possible or should I start the ball rolling on getting this more normalized, a task I'm not sure can be done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:26 pm 

For reference, this is the mapping from Person that built the correct query but ended up passing in the wrong parameter:

Code:

<set name="phone_nums" table="Phone_Nums">
<key column="phone_nums_id" />
<composite-element class="com.bleh.PhoneNums">
<property name="number" type="string" column="NUMBER"/>
<property name="comment" type="string" column="COMMENT"/>
</composite-element>
</set>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:34 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hibernate collections must use a PK as the target of a <key>. However, you never need to use collections. Just map two <many-to-one property-ref> associations and use queries instead of collections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:43 pm 

Thanks. Response greatly appreciated.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]