-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: <many-to-one> with an immutable table : cached?
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:51 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hello,

I am just wondering if someone could help me with some concepts! I am just wondering if there is a way to prevent, what I think are, unnecessary SELECT statements, that should/could they be cached in some way?

I currently have a large number of tables, that have an associated 'type' table. For example, I have a 'project' table, that has an association to a 'project_type' table (hbm below).

For the project_type class, i have set mutable="false", as well as setting the jcs-cache useage to "read-only". Since this table will not change.

Here is my question, when i get an iterator of Projects, and remove a Project, it hits the database (SELECT on project_type table), each and every time, to get the associated ProjectType object:

Code:
11:22:13,386 DEBUG SQL:237 - select projecttyp0_.id as id0_, projecttyp0_.name...

This totally makes sense...!!! But....

Questions:

1. Does it have to if ProjectType is immutable, and 'read-only'? ...can it be cached in some way (to work with the above scenerio)? if so how?(The cache for session.load( .. ) on PartyType works great!)

2. If it can't be cached, can the instantiation of the ProjectType be made Lazy? untill project.getProjectType( ) is called?

Example Mapping : ProjectTable

Code:
<hibernate-mapping>
    <class name="com.Project" table="project">

<id name="id" type="long" column="id">
            <generator class="identity"/>
        </id>

<!-- project.type_id = project_type.id -->
        <many-to-one name="projectType" class="com.ProjectType" column="type_id" not-null="true"/>

</class>
</hibernate-mapping>

Example Mapping : Project Type Table (immutable, read-only)

Code:
<hibernate-mapping>
    <class name="com.ProjectType" table="project_type" mutable="false">

<jcs-cache usage="read-only"/>

<id name="id" type="long" column="id">
            <generator class="identity"/>
        </id>

<property name="name" column="name" type="string"/>

</class>
</hibernate-mapping>

Code Example:

Code:
Project  project;
Iterator projects =
   dbSession.iterate(
      "FROM Project p WHERE p.projectType.id = 1"
   );

while( projects.hasNext() ) {
    project = (Project) projects.next();   
}

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]