-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ordering by Aggregate function: revisited
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:12 am 

Hi, I know this topic has been discussed to death but I see no viable solution and the only semi-work-around I see have no real explanation so I was hoping somebody would enlighten me with the answer. Thanks.

The HQL I need to run is,
"select u.name, count(*) ct from user u group by u.name order by ct desc"

After searching through this forum, now I realize HQL does not allow aliases on the selected columns. So the only possible method to achieve the desired result would be to use the "column number" as somebody proposed. ( eg] ORDER BY col#2)

Now the question is, how do I indicate the column number in HQL? Is it even possible? If not, is there a work-around for this problem?

Yes I'm using MySQL and I understand MySQL's bug is preventing me to have aggregate function in the ORDER BY. But at least MySQL has a work-around to use the aliase. Is there an equivalent in Hibernate?

I'm losing sleep over this matter... please help.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:40 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

No, HQL does not have aliases. Why not just fall back to a native SQL query?

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:47 pm 

I thought you had to have a persistent object to fall back to native SQL.
So in this case do I need to create an object with the property (String name) and (int count) to get the result?

If this is true, then I guess I misunderstood the logic. I thought there always has to exist a database table for each persistent object.

Is this a fairly safe assumption? (I can't test out the code until tonight so I'm trying to get as much information as possible before getting at this again. Thanks.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:52 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Oh, I mean, fall back to direct JDBC. Easy.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]