-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: JDO on Hibernate?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:48 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Since Hibernate joined the JBoss group and they are known to be looking for a JDO solution, will a JDO interface eventually be supported as part of the Hibernate project? Jakarta OJB currently supports JDO through the Sun RI. Is this possible for Hibernate as well?

SZ
Objects by Design

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:03 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hibernate will not support JDO 1. It will definitely not be available as a plugin for the toy JDO reference implementation.

Hibernate is intended as a production-ready solution for serious applications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:15 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Do you really believe that JDO can't become a "production-ready solution for serious applications"??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:20 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I really believe that JDO 1 is not. I am participating in the JDO2 effort in the hope that a future iteration of the spec will change this.

I mean c'mon guys, be serious! I cannot even do a wildcard search in JDOQL!

Code:
from Foo foo where foo.description like '%foo%bar%'

requires vendor extensions in JDO.

(JDOQL only supports startsWith() and endsWith())

I'm not going to waste time with this until the spec is sufficiently mature. Meanwhile we are the de facto standard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:53 am 
Beginner
Beginner

OK, so it might be reasonable to assume that when there is a JDO 2 that is sufficiently mature, then there will be a migration path for Hibernate developers to move over to JDO and still reuse the mappings that they invested in for Hibernate?

I am serious about a migration path here because I truly believe that JDO (or something very similar) will become the de facto vendor independant standard, much like JDBC. After all, while Hibernate may be very good at what it does, I don't think anybody wants to be tied to any single implementation for persistence. After all, things are moving so fast and JDBC has worked out very well for vendor independance, with JDBC drivers getting better all the time.

Thanks,
SZ
Objects by Design
www.objectsbydesign.com

Post subject: ongoing debate
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:12 am 
Beginner
Beginner

There is already debate on theserverside.com forums about using Hibernate as the basis for a JDO/R standard.

http://www.theserverside.com/home/threa ... 0978#92890

My guess is that there is something being baked in the JBoss Group right now but it is too early to make it public.

SZ
Objects by Design

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]