-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: SaveOrUpdate with assigned id - Newbie
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:02 pm 

Sorry if its a stupid one, just beginning with hibernate.

My hbm.xml file has this for the id column
<id
name="name"
column="countername"
type="java.lang.String"
unsaved-value="null"
>
<generator class="assigned">
</generator>
</id>
Now when i save my object , i create an instance of the javabean and assign a value(not-null) to the primarkey("name" in this case). If i do a save() it works and my object gets persisted. If i do a saveorUpdate, it throws a
net.sf.hibernate.HibernateException: SQL update or deletion failed

as its trying to do an update on the code. I looked at the documentation and it says if the unsaved-value is null and my bean has a primarykey set to null, then the saveorupdate would save the record rather than updating it.

So what should i do if im having a generator of "assigned". Should i always use save to insert the record instead of saveOrUpdate?

Thanks
Raj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:58 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

This is a FAQ question.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]