-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Using left join fetch in HQL
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:21 am 

Section 9.3 of the manual says

In addition, a "fetch" join allows associations to be initialized along with their parent objects, using a single select. This is particularly useful in the case of a collection.

from eg.Cat as cat
inner join fetch cat.mate
left join fetch cat.kittens

Which models exactly what I have, class A which has a one to one association with Adetails. And a one to many association with B.

So, my from looks like

from A
inner join fetch a.details
left join fetch a.someSet

Now, the docs say the join allows the associations to be initialized along with their parent object - but the result set comes back with several instances of A with the same identity, I have not inspected these to determine if each instance is loaded with the whole collection, or just one. I would tend to believe each has one.

The one to many assoication DOES have an order by, and I am using HQL's ability to set first row and max rows.

I see the same section has this information:
"Note also that the fetch construct may not be used in queries called using scroll() or iterate(). "

But I am not really doing a scroll or iterate - am I?

So I was wondering if this should work.

I was hoping to avoid submitting detailed code. Let me know if what I describe "should work" or if you know of some work arounds.

I would like to see my A "list" query use only one SQL statement - which is what the above join magic does - unfortunately the list contains multiple instances of the A objects with the same identity.

Thanks,
JS

Post subject: Re: Using left join fetch in HQL
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:38 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

stewajc wrote:
But I am not really doing a scroll or iterate - am I?

You to tell, Does your code look like
Code:
session.find()
or
Code:
session.iterate()

Did you try the
Code:
select distinct a from A as a ...
?[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:22 pm 

I use session.find(), but I have not tried the select distinct, that is something I was not aware of! That makes perfect sense. I will try and let post the results!

Thanks!
JS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:56 pm 

I think I figured it out.

The details class, although logically modeled as one to one, was actually modeled like this:

<many-to-one
name="details"
class="ADetails"
column="details_id"
not-null="true"
unique="true"
cascade="all"
outer-join="true"
update="true"
insert="true"
/>

This was done to solve the nasty problem I had with getting a (I thought) simple one-to-one relationship - where the details entity lifecycle is completely dependent on the parent class.

I guess I will wait until Hibernate supports fetch on multiple x-to-many associations in a left join. Alternatively - I suppose I could reopen wounds and start farting around with the "logical" one to one I have in hibernate as many to one / unique.

JS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:13 pm 

But of course I am wrong,

The docs say in 9.3

"Note that, in the current implementation, only one collection role may be fetched in a query."

The details in not modeled as a collection role. So, so much for my reasoning why it was not working.

I am unsure why it does not work.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]