-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do I map to a column in another table
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:13 am 
Beginner
Beginner

This seems like it should be simple, so it's quite possible I just "don't get it".

I have a Project object that has a statusId column. This works for most of my CRUD situations. However, when searching and displaying results, I wan't to show the text representation of statusId, which I have as a statusDesc getter/setter.

It seems like I should be able to say "Hibernate, get me the statusDesc column's value from the project_status table". What's the best way to go about doing this?

2ndly, is it possible to map this with XDoclet?

Post subject: Map it
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:06 pm 
Senior
Senior

In some of my scenarios like this I personally just threw it onto my object and mapped it as a many-to-one when it wasn't internationalized and when it was internationalized I mapped it as many-to-many or one-to-many as appropriate.

In the case of rendering a view with many results, you could just load all of the statuses independently and pick the right one for each record you are showing as you render it.

e.g. 1
Code:
<many-to-one name="statusDesc" class="com.something.StatusDescription" insert="false" update="false" cascade="none" column="statusId" outer-join="true"/>

e.g. 2
Code:
List allStatusDescriptions = Session.get(StatusDescription.class);
// ...
String showMe = allStatusDescriptions.get(desiredIndex);
// ...

Or something like that.

As for X-Doclet, I don't use it but this seems pretty simple so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:36 pm 

try this out. (i'm assuming statusid is an int).

use a PersistentEnum for the statusid, map it to a class called Status.

when you start up your app, in the initialization, create a List of all the Status's with the data from your product_status table.

in the fromInt method, return one of the Status's from the List you created.

then in your Project object, have it return Status objects instead of ints. now you can have multiple getters in the Status object to get either the id or the text description.

you can also override toString(), so in your JSP or whatever, it'll print out the text description instead of the id.

hope this helps.

--alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:20 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I don't think either of these solutions will help in my situation. I want to use the Criteria/Expression API to search by a status's text description when a user wants to search on a status field. So far, the only way I think I can do it is to select all records in a table (and do an outer join with the status table) and then do a match, but that's a pain when the Expression API is so simple.

Post subject: Using the Criteria API...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:45 pm 
Senior
Senior

You can use the the Criteria API to search based on the description if you mapped it as the first way I suggested.
Quote:
<many-to-one name="statusDesc" class="com.something.StatusDescription" insert="false" update="false" cascade="none" column="statusId" outer-join="true"/>

In your criteria you can then do the following:
Code:
Criteria criteria = Session.createCriteria(YourClass.class);
criteria = criteria.createCriteria("statusDesc").add(Expression.eq("description", whateverTheUserTypedToSearchBy));
List results = criteria.list();

This will give you back all of the instances of YourClass that have a status description where the description String == what your users are searching for.

I know this works because I've done it in my project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:58 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Awesome David - thanks for this info. I'll try this when I get home tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:15 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

David - you solution worked, I did have to change to using a "ProjectStatus" object which represents the project_status table. Then I added a simple getter for getStatusDesc() that returns projectStatus.getStatusDesc(). It's too bad I can't just set the statusDesc field as a String, but I can live with this solution. Here's the XDoclet markup for it.

/**
* @return String
* @hibernate.many-to-one class="com.centres.redd.persistence.ProjectStatus"
* insert="false" update="false" cascade="none" column="status_id"
* outer-join="true"
*/
public ProjectStatus getProjectStatus() {
return projectStatus;
}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:06 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

David - the following line doesn't even compile - did you have something else in mind:
Code:
criteria = criteria.createCriteria("statusDesc").add(Expression.eq("description", whateverTheUserTypedToSearchBy));
[/code]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]