-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: HB 2.1.b3(b) and order of objects during save()
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:12 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi,

It appears that HB 2.1.b3(b) allows objects to be sent to the db in the same order as objects were sent to save(). Is there something that needs to be configured to achive this? Currently, the order apears to be random.

Thanks

P.S. The abobe assumption was based on the code of IdentityMap.java that now uses org.apache.commons.collections.SequencedHashMap.

Post subject: order of deletes with multiple cascading deletes?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:47 pm 
Senior
Senior

Good question, I was just about to ask almost the same thing regarding deletes except with the twist that nothing has been explicitly deleted but simply removed from mulitple Collections on a parent.

How does one specify and order of operation for the actual database access?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:14 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
Is there something that needs to be configured to achive this?

No. It Just Happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:43 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

gavin wrote:
No. It Just Happens.

Does this mean that the order in which objects sent to db *cannot* be forced to be the same as the order in which they sent to save()?

It'd be really, really great (for me) if the above is not true since it kills performance when large sets of objects are involved.

I think it should be fixed ... actually, I thought that SequencedHashMap in the IdentityMap.java is to provide this ...

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:47 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
Does this mean that the order in which objects sent to db *cannot* be forced to be the same as the order in which they sent to save()?

No it means that you are mistaken.

Post subject: Do I understand correctly?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:02 pm 
Senior
Senior

Dear Gavin,

If I understand correctly, the order in which calls are made to the DB matches the order in which calls are made to Session.save() et. al.?

What about when no explicit calls are made but objects are merely added and removed from persistent collections? Just to confirm, does this scenario require that I "might need to give a little hint" as per the FAQ for unique constraints?

Thank-you,
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:00 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Objects saved by cascade are saved in the order they were discovered by Hibernate's treewalking algorithm. So, in the case of a collection, it would be the iteration order of the collection.

Post subject: Sorry, let me clarify my question...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:51 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Objects saved by cascade are saved in the order they were discovered by Hibernate's treewalking algorithm. So, in the case of a collection, it would be the iteration order of the collection.

So in the case of several dfifferent collections on the same parent object if the instances in one collection are dependent upon those in another of the collections (I know this just begs the question why? ;) ) it is necessary to manually assist the order of inserting and deleting that occurs as Hibernate does not provide a mechanism in the mapping for saying "persist that collection before this one" correct?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]