-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: irc server & channel where one can talk to hibernate cod
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:37 pm 

Hi,

Are there irc server&channels where hibernate coders and users hang around? I know #hibernate at irc.freenode.net for one. Any others ? (Especially a server where Gavin is present?)

Thanks,

Bulent Erdemir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:38 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

You mean, where you get free support at 24/7? :)

Post subject: irc server & channel where one can talk to hibernate cod
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:47 pm 

:) I'd say volunteer support. As in some other OSS projects.

The reason is we try to use hibernate in a big application with a big database (about 150million records in some tables) and there are lots of questions in our minds about scalability and performance. Rather than posting to the group, I'd like to talk these issues with the core coders (if possible) face to face (well, better put, keyboard to keyboard).

Later, we plan to document our experience and post to the forum at once.

Regards,
Bulent Erdemir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:56 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

So, why not start an IRC channel yourself? That way, we can keep this non-deterministic and asynchronous way of free support and maybe join in if we like to from time to time. If we start such a channel ourself, everyone would expect us to work there all day and night for their particular project.

If you want to document something, use the Community Area on the website, not the forum. The current statistics say "100 posts/day", it won't last.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:09 pm 

Neither you, nor I need to start such a channel, because there's one. I mentioned it in my first post. I just wanted to know if the core coders hanged around somewhere.

While I was working on Mozilla source, I used to join a channel where the developer's used to talk to each other. I found it very useful even to listen to their conversation between each other. It helped me get more used to the inner workings of the source. I believe this helps to increase developer attention to the OSS project in question, rather than user attention. So, I don't take this (having coders in an IRC channel) as only a support issue. And I think OSS user community reached to a level of awareness that no user would expect the coders to work all day in the channel.

Regards,
Bulent Erdemir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:27 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

If you want to talk with us face 2 face - then show up at JAOO (www.jaoo.dk) by the end of this month - we will all be there (for the first time ever ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:23 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Thus Gavin will not have an Empty room during his presentation. The cheer squad will be present ready to go for the afternoon beer :-)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]