-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: null values in primitive types
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:24 am 

Hello,

I'm getting PropertyAccessException "Null value was assigned to a property of primitive type" when I try to use session.find.

I have primitive-type members in my java classes, and related fields in the database tables can have null values.

I wonder is this allowed or not?
and if it's not allowed the only way to overcome this problem is to convert primitive fields to wrapper types (e.g. long to Long). (I cannot change database structure for now) Right?

Regards...

Serkan Soykan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:28 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

It is not allowed.

You can solve the problem using a UserType, however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:02 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

i solved the problem by using java types (Long and Integer) for the primitive counterparts long and int. If you allow NULLs in the DB then you are best not to use primitive types in the app code.

Post subject: null values in primitive types
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:35 pm 

Gerrick and Gavin, thank you for your fast response.

As Derrick suggested, we modified our hbm files and classes with java.lang.* types (java.lang.Long instead of long). Now we can retrieve records with null fields.

However, since our application will be big and we'll have lots of simultaneous users and batch processes accessing the db and creating lots of objects, we're afraid the large number of class instances will take lot more memory when the properties are declared as objects, instead of primitive types. This might be an issue about our application's memory requirements.

We're new to hibernate and object based programming (we live in a relational world), so some our concerns might sound trivial. Do you think the above comments are correct ?

Regards,
Bulent Erdemir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:39 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Actually primitive types are *less* efficient in Hibernate.

And if you are running under a modern JVM, just don't worry about these kinds of issues. Let _me_ worry about that kind of performance tuning.

You just need to worry about accessing *data* efficiently.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]