-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Functionality differences with Hibernate JPA and Native?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:38 am 

Hi,

Can anyone help me? I am trying to work out what the drawbacks are with using Hibernates JPA implementation over the Hibernates Native API. I know there are differences and maybe performance issues but I am struggling to find them listed anywhere.

Thanks
Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:16 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

There is no performance difference, since JPA delegate straight to Hibernate native.
This is more a question of feature completness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:48 am 

Hi,

Thanks for such a clear and concise response. I am learning about Hibernate Native at the moment and it does seem to confirm your comment. It's a shame that the JPA documentation doesn't make this more clear since it would be a concern for a lot of developer I would imagine.

Currently, I'm not looking into whether we need/would like any of these other features that Hibernate offers, e.g. Criteria Queries.

Thanks
Marc

Post subject: Functionality differences between Hibernate JPA and Native
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:33 am 

I would recommend downloading the sample chapter 2 from the Java Persistence book mentioned in the roadmap section of the Documentation section of the Hibernate web site. The link is http://www.manning.com/bauer2/

This chapter walks through a simple example. It starts with using the Hibernate API + .hbm.xml, then converts it first to use mapping using Java annotations, then changes the Java code from the Hibernate native API to the Java persistence API. Along the way, it discusses the differences between the two API's. The tradeoff is a portable standard API vs. increased functionality. The last page of the chapter has a table summarizing the differences between using the two API's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:40 am 

Excellent! Thanks very much for that link.

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:46 am 

If this helped, don't forget to rate. :-)
Thanks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]