-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Any plans for commons-lang 2?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:29 am 
Regular
Regular

Are there any plans to migrate hibernate to commons-lang 2.0?

just wondering...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:45 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

....one -1 for commons-lang 2, is that is grown considrable in size - and we ain't using more than 1% of its functionallity......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:49 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I am not totally sure what we are using but I would like to see use remove a few jar dependencies. Can we create own own versions and dump commons-lang (and anything else while we are at it). I really hate dealing with DLL/Jar Hell and commons-lang is going to bit us in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:18 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

commons-lang is mainly used because of NestableException.

So, it is very likely we would make a NestableException in hibernate and just let go of commons-lang. (patches are welcome ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:21 am 
Senior
Senior

max wrote:
commons-lang is mainly used because of NestableException.

So, it is very likely we would make a NestableException in hibernate and just let go of commons-lang. (patches are welcome ;)

<rant>Nested exceptions have been introduced to J2SE way too late. They should at least have been in 1.3, then we wouldn't have all those problems... We would simply use standard exception nesting like now in J2SE-1.4-only apps.</rant>

More constructively speaking: We have introduced NestedRuntimeException and NestedCheckedException classes in Spring for exactly the same reason. We don't want to depend on commons-lang for such a minimal issue, and we don't want to make it hard for users to use the commons-lang release of their choice.

So I highly recommend that you use your own nestable exception base class to avoid unnecessary dependencies. BTW, I see that you also depend on commons-lang's ObjectUtils.equals; but that should be trivial to reimplement too.

You could also reconsider using commons-collections, it's quite large at 162 KB... As far as I see, you're just using SequencedHashMap and ReferenceMap. On the other hand, reinventing the wheel doesn't make much sense either. It's hard to decide, I guess.

Juergen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:24 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

We talked about this and other issues wrt dependencies at JAOO and it's somewhere on the road map. I just have to find some time to write it down...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:40 am 
Senior
Senior

P.S.: Of course, keeping dependencies low is more important for Spring than it is for Hibernate. Hibernate is above 1 MB in terms of libraries in any case, targeting larger applications in the first place, while a Spring bean factory can even be embedded in an applet.

The latter just requires spring-beans.jar at 97 KB and commons-logging-api.jar at 22 KB, totaling at 120 KB. We're actually using it that way at werk3AT, besides usage as a full-blown J2EE application framework of course.

For Spring, additionally depending on commons-lang, commons-collections, and commons-beanutils (easy to imagine for a bean factory implementation) would mean 340 KB more, quadrupling the total library size in the applet case.

Juergen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:25 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

commons-lang is now massively bloated and also seems to have some bizarre backward compatibility problems, so we should kick it out of Hibernate as soon as possible.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]