-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate Blob - Data truncation?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:13 pm 

I have a Blob stored in one of my entities and when trying to store the entity I get an exception (full stack trace at the end).

It appears to be that the type 'blob' is limited to a certain size? The nested error is
"Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlDataTruncation: Data truncation: Data too long for column 'largeimage' at row 1"

What am I doing wrong? Perhaps I need a newer mySQL driver?
Maybe I can specify the blob size?

Any help would be appreciated,
cheers,
Rob.

Code:
org.hibernate.exception.DataException: could not insert: [com.ciderbob.common.Game]
   at org.hibernate.exception.SQLStateConverter.convert(SQLStateConverter.java:77)
   at org.hibernate.exception.JDBCExceptionHelper.convert(JDBCExceptionHelper.java:43)
   at org.hibernate.id.insert.AbstractReturningDelegate.performInsert(AbstractReturningDelegate.java:40)
   at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.insert(AbstractEntityPersister.java:2158)
   at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.insert(AbstractEntityPersister.java:2638)
   at org.hibernate.action.EntityIdentityInsertAction.execute(EntityIdentityInsertAction.java:48)
   at org.hibernate.engine.ActionQueue.execute(ActionQueue.java:250)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractSaveEventListener.performSaveOrReplicate(AbstractSaveEventListener.java:298)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractSaveEventListener.performSave(AbstractSaveEventListener.java:181)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractSaveEventListener.saveWithGeneratedId(AbstractSaveEventListener.java:107)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultSaveOrUpdateEventListener.saveWithGeneratedOrRequestedId(DefaultSaveOrUpdateEventListener.java:187)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultSaveEventListener.saveWithGeneratedOrRequestedId(DefaultSaveEventListener.java:33)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultSaveOrUpdateEventListener.entityIsTransient(DefaultSaveOrUpdateEventListener.java:172)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultSaveEventListener.performSaveOrUpdate(DefaultSaveEventListener.java:27)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultSaveOrUpdateEventListener.onSaveOrUpdate(DefaultSaveOrUpdateEventListener.java:70)
   at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.fireSave(SessionImpl.java:535)
   at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.save(SessionImpl.java:523)
   at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.save(SessionImpl.java:519)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
   at org.hibernate.context.ThreadLocalSessionContext$TransactionProtectionWrapper.invoke(ThreadLocalSessionContext.java:301)
   at $Proxy0.save(Unknown Source)
   at com.ciderbob.test.TestHibernate$3.doit(TestHibernate.java:186)
   at com.ciderbob.dao.HibernateUtil.doCommand(HibernateUtil.java:66)
   at com.ciderbob.test.TestHibernate.testBlob(TestHibernate.java:182)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
   at junit.framework.TestCase.runTest(TestCase.java:164)
   at junit.framework.TestCase.runBare(TestCase.java:130)
   at junit.framework.TestResult$1.protect(TestResult.java:106)
   at junit.framework.TestResult.runProtected(TestResult.java:124)
   at junit.framework.TestResult.run(TestResult.java:109)
   at junit.framework.TestCase.run(TestCase.java:120)
   at junit.framework.TestSuite.runTest(TestSuite.java:230)
   at junit.framework.TestSuite.run(TestSuite.java:225)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.junit3.JUnit3TestReference.run(JUnit3TestReference.java:130)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.TestExecution.run(TestExecution.java:38)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:460)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:673)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:386)
   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:196)
Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlDataTruncation: Data truncation: Data too long for column 'largeimage' at row 1
   at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:2939)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:1623)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:1715)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.execSQL(Connection.java:3249)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeInternal(PreparedStatement.java:1268)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:1541)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:1455)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:1440)
   at org.hibernate.id.IdentityGenerator$GetGeneratedKeysDelegate.executeAndExtract(IdentityGenerator.java:73)
   at org.hibernate.id.insert.AbstractReturningDelegate.performInsert(AbstractReturningDelegate.java:33)
   ... 42 more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:42 pm 

Ok, I've learnt that my file is > 65kbyes (blob size), so I want to change the type to 'mediumblob' (my sql 16mb). But how do I do this? the list of types available in the mapping file only shows one blob type.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:28 pm 

I solved the problem by letting hibernate create the tables with 'blob' as the type, and then altering the column type to 'mediumblob' and then everything worked fine.

It appears as though Hibernate doesn't deal with mysql's different sizes of blob, perhaps this should be raised as a bug report?

Full details in my favourite Java forum...

http://groups.google.com/group/javaposse/browse_thread/thread/1c00418ff7af7a18

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]