-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problem with outer-join
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:49 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

hibernate.max_fetch_depth=8

A-->B is a many-to-one relationship.

In the <many-to-one> tag of the mapping file for A, outer-join="true" is set.

In the Java application, I used HQL "from A" to get all objects of A and for each of them traverse the association A-->B to visit B. I am expecting a SQL statement to retrieve from an outer join of A and B. But what I saw in the debug mesg are separate SQL statements: first retrieve A objects and for each of them issue another SQL statement to get the B object associated with it. There were no outer join operators.

Can't we take advantage of outer join by object traversing instead of explicitly putting outer join operators in the HQL? Or am I missing anything?

Thank you!
Stan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:05 am 
Expert
Expert

Try with eager fetching (chapter 7 of Hiberante In Action):
Code:
from A a
    inner join fetch a.b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:06 am 
Expert
Expert

I meant left join fetch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:22 am 
Expert
Expert

chapter 4 of Hibernate In Action:
"Keep in mind that eager fetching strategies declared in the mapping metadata are effective only if you use retrieval by identifier, ...."

As I understand the mapped outer-join="true" will work only with Session.load(), Session.get() and queries where you specify id in the WHERE clause. That is if you need real eager fetch specify it in HQL with inner join fetch, left join fetch or set via Criteria.setFetchMode("b", FetchMode.EAGER).

--
Leonid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:38 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

whats after that comma is also important ", and navigating associations" :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:46 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Thank you for your answers! They are very helpful.
It is strange that I did not find the sentence you mentioned in the pdf version of "Hibernate in Action" ch4. Did it sometimes get revised recently?

But I did tried the session.get() and load() and they worked well. Then I tried ONLY s.get() to get an object of class A without navigating to B. It turned out that outer-join is still used. Yes, I have mapped B class as lazy="true".

I think it would be helpful to provide in the hibernate manual a conclusion of all the cases where eager fetch using outer-join is used. (if there is already such and I missed it, I apologize :)

Thanks,
Stan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:03 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

"Keep in mind that eager fetching strategies declared in the mapping metadata are effective only if you use retrieval by identifier, use the criteria query API, or navigate through the object graph manually."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]