-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problem saving set - object references an unsaved transient
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:19 pm 
Regular
Regular

I have a class 'ServiceLinkInstruction' that includes as a property set of subordinate 'InstructionStep' classes, like...

Code:
<set name="steps" lazy="false" >
   <key column="LinkIntID"/>
   <one-to-many class="com.eis.service.link.InstructionStep" not-found="ignore"/>
</set>

However, when I try to save an instance of the main 'ServiceLinkInstruction' class I get the following error...

Code:
Caused by: org.springframework.dao.InvalidDataAccessApiUsageException: object references an unsaved transient instance - save the transient instance before flushing: com.eis.service.link.InstructionStep; nested exception is org.hibernate.TransientObjectException: object references an unsaved transient instance - save the transient instance before flushing: com.eis.service.link.InstructionStep
   at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.SessionFactoryUtils.convertHibernateAccessException(SessionFactoryUtils.java:636)
   at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateAccessor.convertHibernateAccessException(HibernateAccessor.java:412)
   at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTemplate.doExecute(HibernateTemplate.java:424)
   at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTemplate.executeWithNativeSession(HibernateTemplate.java:374)
   at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTemplate.save(HibernateTemplate.java:690)
   at com.eis.service.link.ServiceLinkDAOImpl.addEntryLink(ServiceLinkDAOImpl.java:79)
   ... 11 more

Any ideas??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:20 pm 
Senior
Senior

Did you add an InstructionStep to the set before you got that error?

try either
Code:
InstructionStep s = new InstructionStep();
session.save(s);
ServiceLinkInstruction sli = new ServiceLinkInstruction();
sli.getSteps().add(s);
session.save(sli);
session.getTransaction().commit();

or

map the set with cascade="all" (or at least "save")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:14 pm 
Regular
Regular

I added 'cascade' and I got a new problem, see...
Code:
Caused by: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLIntegrityConstraintViolationException: Cannot add or update a child row: a foreign key constraint fails (`skap/instruction_step`, CONSTRAINT `fk_instruction_step_service_link` FOREIGN KEY (`LinkIntID`) REFERENCES `link_definition` (`LinkIntID`) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE NO ACTION)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.createSQLException(SQLError.java:931)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.checkErrorPacket(MysqlIO.java:2934)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sendCommand(MysqlIO.java:1616)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.sqlQueryDirect(MysqlIO.java:1708)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.Connection.execSQL(Connection.java:3255)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeInternal(PreparedStatement.java:1293)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:1566)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:1480)
   at com.mysql.jdbc.PreparedStatement.executeUpdate(PreparedStatement.java:1465)
   at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeUpdate(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:102)
   at org.hibernate.id.IdentityGenerator$GetGeneratedKeysDelegate.executeAndExtract(IdentityGenerator.java:73)
   at org.hibernate.id.insert.AbstractReturningDelegate.performInsert(AbstractReturningDelegate.java:33)
   ... 50 more

Then I removed the foreign key constraint and it works OK.

As a relative Hibernate newbie, is there something I can read that explains how mapping collections works with database foreign key definitions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:12 pm 
Senior
Senior

Don't know if its in the manual, were those constraints predefined or generated with the schema?

Maybe something is wrong in your mapping, otherwise you might have to save the other object first and then add it to the collection to please the constraint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:38 am 
Beginner
Beginner

davout_uk wrote:

As a relative Hibernate newbie, is there something I can read that explains how mapping collections works with database foreign key definitions?

6. Collection Mapping
7. Association Mappings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:40 am 
Expert
Expert

It sounds like you have come across the issue that is discussed in one of the examples in the Hibernate docs: http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/re ... bidir.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:30 pm 
Regular
Regular

I've reworked my parent child mappings based upon the patterns used in the suggested reading.

Child mapping...
Code:
<hibernate-mapping>
    <class name="com.eis.service.link.InstructionStep" table="instruction_step">
        <id name="ID" type="java.lang.Integer" unsaved-value="-1">
            <column name="StepIntID" />
            <generator class="native" />
        </id>
        <property name="title" type="java.lang.String">
            <column name="StepTitle" length="50" />
        </property>
        <property name="displayOrder" type="java.lang.Integer">
            <column name="StepDisplayOrder" />
        </property>
        <property name="message" type="java.lang.String">
            <column name="StepMessage" length="65535" />
        </property>
        <many-to-one name="parent" column="LinkIntID" not-null="true"/>
    </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

Parent mapping...
Code:
<set name="steps" lazy="false" inverse="true" cascade="all" order-by="StepDisplayOrder asc">
   <key column="LinkIntID"/>
   <one-to-many class="com.eis.service.link.InstructionStep"/>
</set>

This seems to work OK, except for one thing - deleting child entries.

If I first save a parent with three child entries, and then update the parent to have only 1 child then the two redundant child entries are not being deleted. Retrieving the parent will return an instance with 3 child entries.

Any ideas?

[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:27 pm 
Expert
Expert

I think you should use cascade="all-delete-orphan". cascade="delete" (or cascade="all") only cascades if you delete the parent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:53 pm 
Regular
Regular

If I change cascade to "all-delete-orphan" then the following exception is generated..

Code:
Cause: A collection with cascade="all-delete-orphan" was no longer referenced by the owning entity instance: com.eis.service.link.ServiceLinkInstruction.steps; nested exception is org.hibernate.HibernateException: A collection with cascade="all-delete-orphan" was no longer referenced by the owning entity instance: com.eis.service.link.ServiceLinkInstruction.steps
org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateSystemException: A collection with cascade="all-delete-orphan" was no longer referenced by the owning entity instance: com.eis.service.link.ServiceLinkInstruction.steps; nested exception is org.hibernate.HibernateException: A collection with cascade="all-delete-orphan" was no longer referenced by the owning entity instance: com.eis.service.link.ServiceLinkInstruction.steps
   at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.SessionFactoryUtils.convertHibernateAccessException(SessionFactoryUtils.java:661)
   at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateAccessor.convertHibernateAccessException(HibernateAccessor.java:412)
   at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTemplate.doExecute(HibernateTemplate.java:424)
   at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateTemplate.execute(HibernateTemplate.java:339)
   at com.eis.service.link.ServiceLinkDAOImpl.doFindByEntry(ServiceLinkDAOImpl.java:152)

This error occurs when I try to retrieve the parent object.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:17 pm 
Expert
Expert

From what I can tell by the error message and by looking at the code in Hibernate where this is thrown, I think this happens if you replace the 'steps' collection with a different one in your class. The collection that Hibernate is passing to ServiceLinkInstruction.setSteps() must be the same collection that you return from ServiceLinkInstruction.getSteps().

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:32 pm 
Regular
Regular

Well spotted....

I had code in the 'SetSteps(<Set> steps)' method that copied the incoming set rather taking it as an assignment.

This now works fine - many thanks for your asistance.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]