-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Is NHibernate still under active development?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:48 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi there,

I haven't seen any issue fixed in the issue tracker in the past weeks. I'm wondering if the project is still under active development. can anybody from development team give us some update?

Sorry if this thread annoys anyone.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:54 am 
Contributor
Contributor

NHibernate is no longer my full-time job (I've been working on a different project at JBoss since May, and I have left the company recently), so I only work on it in my free time. Lately I didn't have any.

My priority is the 1.2.1 bug fix release but I can't promise any active development after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:30 pm 

Is there anybody else actively working on project?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:28 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Not really. Ayende Rahien contributes from time to time. And Karl Chu has just got commit rights, so let's hope his enthusiasm will last for some time :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:32 pm 

What about Pierre?

http://www.manning.com/kuate/

Pierre Henri Kuaté is one of the main developers on the NHibernate project team, author of the NHibernate.Mapping.Attributes library, and a major contributor to the NHibernate forum. He's responsible for managing the NHibernate documentation, website, and forum on the Hibernate.org site. He started using NHibernate more than two years ago in commercial development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:36 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

He is currently busy with the book, but yes, he used to work quite a lot on documentation and some tutorials.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:28 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Thank you so much for your hard work in the past years, sergey. It is really sad to see you leave JBOSS. This is a blow for us because NHibernate is the ORM we chose to build our first commercial product and it's just approaching beta. Let's hope JBOSS can find someone to work on NHibernate full time.

Once again, good luck on your new job, sergey.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:03 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

sergey wrote:
NHibernate is no longer my full-time job (I've been working on a different project at JBoss since May, and I have left the company recently), so I only work on it in my free time. Lately I didn't have any.

My priority is the 1.2.1 bug fix release but I can't promise any active development after that.

Ugh. Wow that's disappointing. I hate to see development on such a great tool begin to stagnate. I use NHibernate on at least half a dozen production projects at work. Sergey, your efforts have been greatly appreciated.

I'd like to help contribute to the coding efforts, but I don't even know where to begin. The codebase is a bit overwhelming. My first thought would be to go file by file and do little stuff like take care of any Resharper warnings/suggestions, and submit each one of those as a patch file to a JIRA issue titled "Code cleanup" or something to that effect.

What do I have to do to set up my machine to run the Tests? I'm familiar with NAnt/NUnit and such. Do I need to create any databases on my machine? I'm running a version of MS SQL Server 2005. If there's documentation for setting this up, can someone point me to it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:13 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

It will be a great idea if Sergey can write an step-by-step article to help us set up development and test environment, so more developers can contribute to the project.

Thanks a lot

Frank

jimbolla wrote:
sergey wrote:

Ugh. Wow that's disappointing. I hate to see development on such a great tool begin to stagnate. I use NHibernate on at least half a dozen production projects at work. Sergey, your efforts have been greatly appreciated.

I'd like to help contribute to the coding efforts, but I don't even know where to begin. The codebase is a bit overwhelming. My first thought would be to go file by file and do little stuff like take care of any Resharper warnings/suggestions, and submit each one of those as a patch file to a JIRA issue titled "Code cleanup" or something to that effect.

What do I have to do to set up my machine to run the Tests? I'm familiar with NAnt/NUnit and such. Do I need to create any databases on my machine? I'm running a version of MS SQL Server 2005. If there's documentation for setting this up, can someone point me to it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:32 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Here are a few quick steps to get you going.:
  1. Check out the source code from the Subversion repository (https://nhibernate.svn.sourceforge.net/ ... nhibernate)
  2. Run nant in the folder where default.build is located. You need to do this before opening the solution in Visual Studio. Nant generates a few files that are not distributed.
  3. Create a new database, name it "nhibernate" (it can have a different name, but this is easier)
  4. Open the "NHibernate.Everything-2.0.sln" solution
  5. Check the App.config file in the "NHibernate.Test-2.0" project for its database setting. Specifically, uncomment the proper section according to the database you are using; and check the connection string.
  6. Set the "NHibernate.Test-2.0" project as the start-up project (optional)
  7. Right-click on the "NHibernate.Test-2.0" project and select "Properties"
  8. Set "Start Action" to "Start external program" and enter the path to your nunit-gui.exe
  9. Set the "Command line arguments" to "NHibernate.Test.dll"
  10. Hit F5 and you should see NUnite fires up. Click "Run" and watch the beautiful green bar goes across the screen.

Just one last thing: Before submitting a patch, make sure you run the entire test suite and confirm everything is green. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:49 am 
Contributor
Contributor

jimbolla wrote:
My first thought would be to go file by file and do little stuff like take care of any Resharper warnings/suggestions, and submit each one of those as a patch file to a JIRA issue titled "Code cleanup" or something to that effect.

Sure, that would be a good start.

jimbolla wrote:

As far as I know, you only need .NET Framework, NAnt, and a database server, preferably MS SQL Server (MSDE will do). You have to create a database for the tests to use, then specify the correct connection string in all the app.config files (and in build-common\nhibernate-properties.xml).

If you use a local MS SQL Server and the database is called nhibernate, then you don't need to set up anything as that is the default setup.

I use some additional tools to package the release (NDoc2 Alpha, Wix), but they are not needed for a causal contributor.

Just running 'nant' will build the project, running 'nant test' will run tests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:39 am 
Beginner
Beginner

i'm also very interested in contributing to the development of nhibernate. I've already set up the development environment but so far i've only committed one patch. One thing that would be great though, is that submitted patches would be committed soon after they were approved. Now it seems that a couple of patches in JIRA are just waiting to be committed. I don't really have a problem with it, but i could see how something like that could demotivate a casual contributor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:47 am 
Contributor
Contributor

DavyBrion wrote:
One thing that would be great though, is that submitted patches would be committed soon after they were approved.

That's true, I'll try to get to applying patches as soon as possible, hopefully this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:57 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

It states at the bottom of this blog post by Sergey that support for .NET 1.x is being dropped. Does that mean we can start using C# 2.0 language features and remove the #if NET20 preprocessor commands?

http://blog.hibernate.org/cgi-bin/blosx ... -here.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:16 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Yes.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next