-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lob is not being lazily loaded
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:06 pm 

I have a byte[] in an entity that I am annotating with lob and fetch=lazy. Yet when I retrieve it though a session bean, the lob is fully loaded. I've heard that "lazy" is only a hint. It is important that I lazily load this. Is there a more correct way to do this?

In Entity:

Code:
private byte[] data;

@Lob
@Basic(fetch=FetchType.Lazy)
public byte[] getData() {
  return data;
}

I am using jboss-4.0.4.GA with a postgres DB

Things I've tried:
I tried using a secondarytable annotation, but the field was still eagerly loaded.

I tried creating a data table and a OneToOne relationship, but when I set this relationship to be lazily loaded, jassist returns an error.

I got it to work with a OneToMany relationship, but that "bugs" me since it is really a one-to-one relationship.

Thanks for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:11 am 

same here. i am using postgres 8.1 and tomcat 5.5.9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:30 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

java.sql.Lob is lazy loaded
byte[] is not lazy loaded

to lazy load an array of byte you need to enhance you class (build time enhancement, check the tools section of the hibernate reference doc) and use @Basic(LAZY)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:50 am 

I'm sorry but i've been very imprecise in my reply and i gave you wrong informations on my problem. My real situation is that my Lob is a Serializable object not an array of bytes.

@Basic(fetch = FetchType.LAZY)
@Lob()
private Shift shift;

and Shift implements Serializable

does your solution applies also to my situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:40 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

yes, same as byte[].
But is you serializable object that big? Is it really slow to load it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:57 am 

It's production data coming from a machine.
In my tests i've reached an extreme of 20MB but usually it should be slightly smaller: 3/4MB and i have 2 or 3 of these blobs to load at the same time (day period). But i cannot exclude that it could become bigger if data "detail" is increased in the future.

Probably the timings for the real scenario could be acceptable. The fact is that i do not really need to load that blob because most of the common statistics are precalculated and saved in the same table of the blob. So the blob itself is there only for making rare particular analisys.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]