-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate Search: Indexing performing unnecessary queries
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:20 pm 

I am trying to index a small portion of a rather complex Hibernate graph. My document root class has two @ManyToOne relationships. Only one of those relationships has the @IndexEmbedded annotation on it. When attempting to index my base class, using the strategy outlined in Hibernate Search in Action, I noticed that Hibernate is eagerly fetching all related beans, not just the ones with the @IndexEmbedded annotation. This results in thousands of completely unnecessary queries to be performed that have absolutely no real impact on the indexing process.

Code:
@Entity
@Table(name = "SOMETHING")
public class TestBean implements Serializable
{

@ManyToOne(fetch=FetchType.LAZY)
   @JoinColumn(name = "FOO_ID", insertable=false, updatable= false)
   private FooBean foo;

@ManyToOne
   @JoinColumn(name = "BAR_ID", insertable=false, updatable= false)
   @IndexEmbedded
   private BarBean bar;

}

My question is... is there any way to prevent Hibernate Search to only load entities that are demarcated with the @IndexEmbedded annotation rather than loading everything eagerly? I even explicitly set fetching to LAZY with no luck. I understand that people are recommending a fully hydrated graph before indexing, but I'm looking at a potential batch indexing time of 10 DAYS... uggggh

I know I could probably comment out the unnecessary relationship annotations temporarily just for the indexing, but it just seems like there could be a better way. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Hibernate Search: Indexing performing unnecessary queries
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:00 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,
there's a known limitation in @ManyToOne mappings, not really related to Search:
if you don't use the "optional=false" setting, having possible null values at the toOne side, then the FetchType.LAZY is being ignored.

Please verify my words: try loading a single entity turning on SQL logging, it should show you it's also loading the related entities.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]