-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: No error when updating index that is read-only
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:08 pm 

I ran into a situation whereby for some reasons, the permissions were not right and the index turned out to be read-only for the application.

The problem is that I was able to call the indexing method and it returned as if it had done it's job, but then I was not able to find the records I indexed right after indexing them.

I traced the problem down to the index being read-only and resolving this solved my problem.

My question is:

Why is it not throwing an Exception? Is there a way to make it error when attempting to update an index that is read-only?

Etienne

Post subject: Re: No error when updating index that is read-only
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:16 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hi,

what do you mean with read-only? File permissions on the file system? What OS are you using? Have you checked the logs whether there was anything in them? Maybe you could give us some more information so that we cold try to reproduce the problem.

--Hardy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:47 am 

Yes, file system permission, on Linux. In this case, the index is on an NFS share that is mounted as RW but despite that, due to the owner on the NFS server, the files were read-only for the PC that has the share mounted RW.

In terms of solving the indexing problem in itself, that's fine, I fixed the permissions and it indexes correctly now.

The log did not have any errors and the application behaved as if it was indexing the records. Hence my question about whether there is a way to have it error.

Etienne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:12 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I think this is worth a Jira issue. I created this one - http://opensource.atlassian.com/project ... SEARCH-382

I haven't reproduced the problem yer though.

--Hardy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:16 am 

Ok thanks. I'll what I can do to get more specific to help reproduce it.

Etienne

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]