-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Search] Capping returned search results?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:10 pm 
Regular
Regular

Hi all,
I have an application that could potentially return 100k+ search results depending on the search type, which gives the end user a ui to sort the various columns from these search results. Obviously this is a problem as it is going to kill lucene to perform that much sorting. Is there a way to cap the amount of search results you can work with? I am currently using setFirstResult and setMaxResults (for pagination), but this will only protect the database, not lucene from trying to sort columns on 100k results. The ideal (and what I see frequently) are websites reporting the total results, but only allowing you to work with some subset of them (say 200), and only being able to sort/paginate through those 200, and you have to use further search terms to drill down.

Thanks!
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:50 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

did you try it?
I am using it on thousands of results, found out of millions of documents; the CPU usage has a high spike but the matches are returned in milliseconds.
Is it different when you return millions of results? I can't really test it as I can't think of a wide enough query.

Anyway I don't think you can paginate with sorting without considering all results, otherwise you can't identify which results are going to be included.
If there is an optimization we are missing, I'll be very glad to implement it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:22 pm 
Regular
Regular

I don't have the numbers just yet, I am at around 35k for the max I have returned in my app, I was just thinking that if Lucene did the search and matched 100k+ results, then had to sort them it might be pretty slow, but I suppose I'll wait and see.

The optimization I was considering (assuming Lucene can even do this), was to match say the first 200 most relevant results, and then those are what you would sort/paginate over. Does that make sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:57 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

yes that sounds good; but how are you going to define an appropriate relevance threshold? Just limiting to the first 200?
Not sure if Lucene supports something like that; should ask on the Lucene forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:58 pm 
Regular
Regular

I wouldn't think of it as a relevance threshold, more of a performance threshold where you say I'm not interested in spending the resources to process and let the user interact with any more than X results, which they likely couldnt do anything meaningful with anyway.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]