-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: EntityManager closed after subsequent envocation
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:43 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hello,
i have a stateful session bean, which declares a dependancy on EntityManager:
Code:
@PersistenceContext(
         type = PersistenceContextType.EXTENDED,
         properties =
            @PersistenceProperty(
                  name = "org.hibernate.flushmode",
                  value = "MANUAL"))

stateful session bean also declares a dependancy on a stateless DAO. Stateful session bean has method: createEntity:

Code:
public JobSeeker createJobSeeker(JobSeeker seeker) {
      seeker = jobSeekerDAO.makePersistent(seeker);
      return seeker;
}

Stateful bean as you may guess defines a dependancy on a stateless via @EJB. Stateful bean also has a @Remove method (public void submit()) - which flushes entity manager. Similar example is in Java Persistance With Hibernate on pg 727. The stateless is implemented as suggested in the example: stateless extends abstract class GenericEJB3DAO wich defines methods basic to all entities: makePersistent. Here is the caveat: stateless is a @Local bean stateful is remote, when i obtain reference to stateful, first execution of createJobSeeker, followed by submit - persists the entity (although does it in stateless bean not on submit invokation), the following invocation of the same method throws an exception:

Code:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: EntityManager is closed at org.hibernate.ejb.EntityManagerImpl.getSession(EntityManagerImpl.java:66) at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.getDelegate(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:559)
   at www.freejobagent.com.dao.GenericEJB3DAO.getSession(GenericEJB3DAO.java:93)
   at www.freejobagent.com.dao.GenericEJB3DAO.makePersistent(GenericEJB3DAO.java:59)

Now when i invoke same set of methods in about 1 - 2 minutes, its okay again. Shouldn't the container set my stateless EntityManager with the one in a stateful session bean and not keep the old closed entityManager. This is deployed on glassfish.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: EntityManager closed after subsequent envocation
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:07 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hello,
i forgot to mention an important detail. Here is the problem i got faced with at first:

Code:
private EntityManager em;
private Session session;

@PersistentContext
private void setEntityManager(EntityManager em) {
   // session = (Session) em.getDelegate();  // throws ClassCastException
                                                                // cannot cast from
                                                                // EntityManagerImpl to Session
   this.em = (EntityManager) em.getDelegate(); // ok
   session = (Session) this.em.getDelegate(); // ok now
}

from preceding stateless everything is legal, except the code is buggy, in a scene that when ever container pooled the stateless it kept the EntityManagerImpl - which was by now closed for sure. Two questions:
1) when i work with session obtained in the followign way (actually thats what i did - having original EntityManager as a type injected the correct one always):

Code:
public Session getSession() {
   EntityManager emLocal = em.getDelegate();
   return (Session) emLocal.getDelegate();
}

from preceding, will session be automatically managed, by hibernate and be associated with JTA? I don't have to close it or separately create transactions right?

2) calling getDelegate() twice seems repetitive, is that how it is supposed to be?. I bet on JBoss 1 call is enough.

Thank you

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]