-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cascade Delete Problem Using Hibernate's EntityManager
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:33 am 

Hi,
I am using Hibernate's EntityManager to persist a number of inter-related entities to the database. The entity relationships are as follows:
- Entity A Many-To-One relationship with Entity B (CascadeType = ALL)
- Entity A One-To-One relationship with Entity C (CascadeType = ALL)

I use the EntityManager to retrieve instances of entity A from the database. For each entry found, I call EntityManager.remove(A).

After removing all the entities I then proceed to synchronize the EntityManager with the database by calling EntityManager.flush(). I get an exception thrown at this point (see stack trace below).

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Code:
javax.persistence.PersistenceException: org.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: Could not execute JDBC batch update
   at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.throwPersistenceException(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:637)
   at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.flush(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:307)
   at com.tnsglobal.comtel.transmissionlogs.TransmissionLogMain.run(TransmissionLogMain.java:222)
   at com.tnsglobal.comtel.transmissionlogs.TransmissionLogMain.main(TransmissionLogMain.java:330)
Caused by: org.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: Could not execute JDBC batch update
   at org.hibernate.exception.SQLStateConverter.handledNonSpecificException(SQLStateConverter.java:103)
   at org.hibernate.exception.SQLStateConverter.convert(SQLStateConverter.java:91)
   at org.hibernate.exception.JDBCExceptionHelper.convert(JDBCExceptionHelper.java:43)
   at org.hibernate.jdbc.AbstractBatcher.executeBatch(AbstractBatcher.java:253)
   at org.hibernate.jdbc.AbstractBatcher.prepareStatement(AbstractBatcher.java:92)
   at org.hibernate.jdbc.AbstractBatcher.prepareStatement(AbstractBatcher.java:87)
   at org.hibernate.jdbc.AbstractBatcher.prepareBatchStatement(AbstractBatcher.java:222)
   at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.delete(AbstractEntityPersister.java:2484)
   at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.delete(AbstractEntityPersister.java:2702)
   at org.hibernate.action.EntityDeleteAction.execute(EntityDeleteAction.java:77)
   at org.hibernate.engine.ActionQueue.execute(ActionQueue.java:279)
   at org.hibernate.engine.ActionQueue.executeActions(ActionQueue.java:263)
   at org.hibernate.engine.ActionQueue.executeActions(ActionQueue.java:172)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractFlushingEventListener.performExecutions(AbstractFlushingEventListener.java:298)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultFlushEventListener.onFlush(DefaultFlushEventListener.java:27)
   at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.flush(SessionImpl.java:1000)
   at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.flush(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:304)
   ... 2 more
Caused by: java.sql.BatchUpdateException: failed batch
   at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcStatement.executeBatch(Unknown Source)
   at org.hsqldb.jdbc.jdbcPreparedStatement.executeBatch(Unknown Source)
   at com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.NewProxyPreparedStatement.executeBatch(NewProxyPreparedStatement.java:1723)
   at org.hibernate.jdbc.BatchingBatcher.doExecuteBatch(BatchingBatcher.java:48)
   at org.hibernate.jdbc.AbstractBatcher.executeBatch(AbstractBatcher.java:246)
   ... 15 more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:14 pm 

I had made wrong assumptions about the way the EntityManager removes entities. I was under the impression that a cascaded remove operation will delete related entities only if these entities are no longer referenced in the join tables implementing the relationships. This seems to me a sensible approach and I assumed this was the default behaviour. Barring performance issues I can't think of a good reason why the good people at Sun have not specidied this behaviour in the JPA specification. Then again I am no JPA guru :)

I was getting the exception listed in my previous post because the entity manager performs an unconditional remove on all entities in a cascade.ALL relationship. So I was accidentally deleting entities that were still beeing referenced. The workaround obviously was to not cascade remove operations and clean up what would effectively be "orphan" entities myself. Tedious!

I hope this helps anyone with similar problems.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]