-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Validator annotation on setter
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:33 am 

I wanted to place Hibernate Validator annotations on setters because it's when I set something that I wan't it to be validated but it doesn't work.

Sample setter
Code:
@NotNull
public void setLocale(Locale locale) { ... }

An exception is raised:
Code:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Could not get property value
   at org.hibernate.validator.ClassValidator.getMemberValue(ClassValidator.java:537)
   at org.hibernate.validator.ClassValidator.getInvalidValues(ClassValidator.java:383)
   at org.hibernate.validator.ClassValidator.getInvalidValues(ClassValidator.java:351)
   at org.hibernate.validator.event.ValidateEventListener.validate(ValidateEventListener.java:139)
   at org.hibernate.validator.event.ValidateEventListener.onPreInsert(ValidateEventListener.java:172)
   at org.hibernate.action.EntityInsertAction.preInsert(EntityInsertAction.java:160)
   at org.hibernate.action.EntityInsertAction.execute(EntityInsertAction.java:53)
   at org.hibernate.engine.ActionQueue.execute(ActionQueue.java:279)
   at org.hibernate.engine.ActionQueue.executeActions(ActionQueue.java:263)
   at org.hibernate.engine.ActionQueue.executeActions(ActionQueue.java:167)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.AbstractFlushingEventListener.performExecutions(AbstractFlushingEventListener.java:298)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultFlushEventListener.onFlush(DefaultFlushEventListener.java:27)
   at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.flush(SessionImpl.java:1000)
   at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.HibernateAccessor.flushIfNecessary(HibernateAccessor.java:390)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invoking setLocale with wrong parameters
   at org.hibernate.annotations.common.reflection.java.JavaXMethod.invoke(JavaXMethod.java:39)
   at org.hibernate.validator.ClassValidator.getMemberValue(ClassValidator.java:534)
   ... 45 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: wrong number of arguments
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
   at org.hibernate.annotations.common.reflection.java.JavaXMethod.invoke(JavaXMethod.java:33)
   ... 46 more

I would have expected associated getter or attribute to be used.

Using Hibernate Validator 3.0.0 with Hibernate Core 3.2.6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:53 am 
Regular
Regular

The annotations needs to be on the getter (or the field).

The validation does NOT occur when you get or set it,
instead it occurs when you explicititly give an instance of that class to a class validator.

However, hibernate automatically detects validation annotations and adds a hibernate lifecycle event to validate them with a class validator when it's written to the database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:06 am 

I knew that ant I moved all annotation to the getters. But I would have expected:
1) A fallback solution: use associated getter or attribute like other Hibernate annotations
2) A clear error message

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:17 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

If someone provides a patch for 2), we will apply it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]