-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Proposed solution for lazy loading of optional OneToOne
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:45 am 

Hi,

Here's a proposed solution to the limitations of the OneToOne discussed in the following Hibernate article: http://www.hibernate.org/162.html#A3.

How about introducing a generic wrapper class that would be used when we want a lazy loading OneToOne? For instance:

Code:
@Entity
public EntityA {

private OneToOneWrapper<EntityB> entityB;

@OneToOne(fetch=LAZY, optional=true)
    public OneToOneWrapper<EntityB> getEntityB() {
        return this.entityB;
    }

private void setEntityB(OneToOneWrapper<EntityB> entityB) {
        this.entityB = entityB;
    }

}

The contract of such a relationship would be that the getter NEVER returns null. Instead, the wrapper class would contain a "isNull" method that would try to lazy load the entity that it wraps and then tell us if something was found or not.

Code:
EntityA a = em.find(EntityA.class, thePkValue);
if (a.getEntityB().isNull()) { // the call to isNull would trigger a query if the entity is not already loaded
    // do something...
}

To read/write the value, we would use a getValue/setValue defined on the wrapper class:

Code:
EntityA a = em.find(EntityA.class, thePkValue);
EntityB b = a.getEntityB().getValue(); // with the use of generics, no need for casting

EntityB newB = new EntityB();
a.getEntityB().setValue(newB);

This is why the setter (setEntityB) is private. We always go through the wrapper class to get/set the value of the relationship. Just like the "isNull" method, the "getValue" and "setValue" method of the wrapper would trigger a query when needed.

The limitations that exist right now is because we have the entity itself as the target of the relationship. If we replace that with a wrapper class that has a clear contract, I think it would solve the problem. What do you guys think?

Post subject: looks good
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm 

As a non hibernate expert and after a lot of headeach trying to have this OneTo[Zero|One] relationship lazy I think your solution is the best..
I really don't like to declare ManyToOne with unique='true' to simulate this...
So I hope my post will help yours to be noticed by a real hibernate expert which could tell us why it is or not a good solution.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]