-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: I want to use another class as the Id, but its not composite
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:18 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hibernate version:
Hibernate Annotations 3.3.0.GA
Hibernate 3.2.5

Mapping documents:
Annotations:

Quote:
class Extension{

@Id
public int getId() {
return getOriginal().getId();
}

@OneToOne
public Inst getOriginal() {
return orig;
}
}

Name and version of the database you are using:
Oracle 10g

We have an extension type table, where there is at most one entry in the extension table per row in the original. There might be none.

The Id of the original table is thus the Id of the extension table. I also want to access the original table from the extension.

The above code is what I currently have. I tried putting the @Id on the getOriginal method, but that complains about the type of the original.

Quote:
org.hibernate.MappingException: Could not determine type for: com.Original, for columns: [org.hibernate.mapping.Column(original)]

With the above code, it forces me to create a setter for the Id on the extension table, but that does not make sense as its set by setting the original object onto the extension object.

I am probably doing this the wrong way - any tips/pointers?

Thanks in advance,
Chris[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:39 am 
Beginner
Beginner

bump... Am I just trying to use hibernate incorrectly or is there a trick to what I am doing?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:39 pm 

As far as I know you can't just annotate @Id on a getter method without getter having a field declared in the same class. The other mistake I see is getOriginal() method and field orig - they should be named the same. If the field is orig, the getter should be named getOrig() otherwise hibernate cannot associate the getter with the field.

Also I don't agree that both entities share the same primary key but each entity should have its own PK with Extension a foreign key to Original. Alternative to this is only composite.

I don't know if I was any help but I tried my best. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:09 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I was keen to get a separate key on the entity, but my colleague seems to think its a better reflection of the underlying data...

My other solution was to have both the original object and its key on the extension class - with a hack that when you set the original object, it also set the key - but it really is a hack :(.

Thanks,
Chris

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]