-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Status of 'OneToOne and Lazy Loading' problem
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:12 am 

Hi,

in http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=958455, it is said that it is possible to use lazy loading for one-to-one mapping by turning 'optional' flag to false.

However, it does not seem to work for me, and there is a comment in http://www.hibernate.org/162.html stating that it is not possible to use it with JPA.

What is the status? Is it possible?

Note that I annotate attributes and not getters. I guess I should annotate the getter to allow Hibernate to intercept call and check the other side of the relationship exists. Shouldn't I?

Also, I don't understand why Hibernate loads the whole object on the other side of relationships, and not just check that there is 'something'.

Just checking would already help us.

Cheers,

J-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:05 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

AFAIK the wiki comment is wrong.

@OneToOne(optional=false) should to the trick

And field or getter use are irrelevant, both will work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:41 am 

It does not work for us. I can still see the SQL statement retrieving the whole counterpart object.

I could mention that it is the 'weak' part (i.e. 'mappedBy') of a bidirectional association. Maybe it is related.

I would also appreciate if someone could shed some light on why Hibernate does not just check that the counterpart object exists, instead of loading it.

This is a real problem for us, because the counterpart object itself has eager relationships.

Cheers,

J-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:11 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

ah year mappedBy need to load the object since the FK is "on the other table".
The rational is that since a DB access is needed, it is preferable to load the object.

On a related note, EAGER in the mapping is usually not a good idea.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]