-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Hibernate Search] Searching only one type of entity
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:03 pm 

Hi!

my problem ist probably trivial, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere in the Hibernate Search documentation: how do I force HS or Lucene to only return objects of a particular kind?

Imagine an application where I have two kinds of Entites, say User and Product, both with a field "name". Both are indexed, so when I do a query like "name:foo", I will not only find Mr. John Foo, but also the FooProduct. My result set is just a mixed bag, so if I solve this via "instanceof", my pagination and result count will be messed up.

A simple way to work around this is renaming the field "name", e.g. to "userName" and "productName". But this is not only ugly in itself but also a clever user could manage to circumvent the "default" field and query the others.

I know that restricting the kind of entities returned by a query kind of defeats the purpose of full-text indexing, but it sure makes sense in my case (and no, I don't actually index users).

Cheers, Friedrich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:19 am 

check the documentation : chapter 4 querying - you see you can pass the class

if your problem is that you want to access lucene natively, HS adds an extra property with the class of the entity : use Luke (lucene tool) to investigate your lucene indexes

Post subject: ....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:38 am 

oops. excuse me for asking such an obvious question - the documentation is really quite clear on that once you look at the right place :-)

thanks for the nice reply.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]