-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: AnnotationConfiguration buildSessionFactory()
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:38 pm 

Greetings,

I'm using hibernate 3.2 and I have around 90 objects that I'm persisting to a Postgres database and I'm working in an Eclipse environment. I have a rather complex relationships between the objects that I have been able to successfully map using annotations. However, when testing the persistance of all the objects at once (instead of one relationship at a time through unit testing), I get a OutOfMemoryException: Java heap space when I call the AnnotationConfiguration.configure().buildSessionFactory().

Now I can solve this problem by increasing the heap size. But I've noticed that when the buildSessionFactory() is called, it is initializing a copy of all my objects that are being persisted and I believe this is what is causing the problem. When I switched back to my XML mapping structure, those objects were not being initialized by buildSessionFactory().

So I basically have 2 questions. Is there a way I can stop buildSessionFactory() from initializing copies of all my (persistable) objects? And is an increased memory usage the price of using annotations?

Any help is gratefully appreciated!

Post subject: Re: AnnotationConfiguration buildSessionFactory()
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:47 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

rje0929 wrote:
Now I can solve this problem by increasing the heap size. But I've noticed that when the buildSessionFactory() is called, it is initializing a copy of all my objects that are being persisted and I believe this is what is causing the problem. When I switched back to my XML mapping structure, those objects were not being initialized by buildSessionFactory().

So I basically have 2 questions. Is there a way I can stop buildSessionFactory() from initializing copies of all my (persistable) objects? And is an increased memory usage the price of using annotations?

can you be a bit more specific? There should be no fundamental diff between annotations and xml.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:51 pm 

To test my theory, I placed a System.out.println in the constructors of my objects. When I called the AnnotationConfiguration.conifgure().buildSessionFactory() method, I could see each object printing out values while the session factory was being built. But when I used a normal Configuration.configure().buildSessionFactory(), I did NOT observe my objects printint out values from their respective constructors.

I hope this helps to clear things up.

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:55 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

print the stack trace please

new Exception().print...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:02 pm 

Unfortunately, the buildSessionFactory() is not printing a stack trace. It only gives me a OutOfMemoryException: Java heap space printed out. I only see this when I have a large number of objects (100+). Otherwise it works with no issues.

Is there a way that I can get buildSessionFactory() to print a stack trace? Would that be more helpful?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:10 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I mean print the stack trace in the constructor so we can find where the object is instanciated :-)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]